Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by nf...@orange.com on 2013/06/11 12:26:20 UTC

How to propose dev ?

Hi Cloudstack community,

I would like to propose two developments queries if possible (see below).
However, it seems if I want to submit them, I have to send a git diff (I can do it if need be).
Is it the good way to do it or I have to follow a specific process ?

In my mind, I thought that first we have to propose (to be sure that nobody done it or the community is ok),
and then if everything goes fine, to do and send it.

Thanks in advance,

Have a good day,

Best regards,

Nicolas Foata

     1) VM instantiation : network information for VM

Goal: Sending network information to a new VM instance

Abstract/suggestion:
While a VM is instantiated, CloudStack could also send the following information if need be :
- the instance name  (CS uuid)
- the display name
- VM tags
- network information (IPv4, IPv6, netmask, routing, gateway, mac address, etc.)
just if we activate some global settings such as :
- vm.instance.boot.network.required (true/false)
- vm.instance.boot.vmname (true/false)
- vm.instance.boot.uuid (true/false)
- vm.instance.boot.tags (true/false)

Applications:
- A VM could discover its network and dialog with physical and virtual machines, etc.
- A VM do not need a virtual router
- According of this type of information (tags, names, ...) , management servers could be able to configure and deploy correctly VMs.

2)      VM instantiation : specific information for hypervisors

Goal  : Sending specific information for the hypervisor to well instantiate a VM

Abstract/suggestion:
While a VM is instantiated, Cloudstack could send and add furthermore data for the hypervisor
coming from a new field such as 'Other options/Other configuration' for example in the 'Compute offering' screen.
Thus, each hypervisor could decide whether it want to process the data and how or to do not take it into account.
With a such input, Cloudstack will be able to use the specificity and the full power of each hypervisor.

Applications:
1) On XCP, it will be possible to branch some pci straightforwardly (via pci passthrough)
2) To use the more efficiently the min, max memories (static and/or dynamic)

Please feel free to modify the text if you to find better and sexy application examples
with this two kinds of features and of course to correct mistakes.

France Telecom - Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie. Merci.

As emails may be altered, France Telecom - Orange is not liable for messages that have been modified, changed or falsified.
Thank you.

Re: How to propose dev ?

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:26:20PM +0200, nfoata.ext@orange.com wrote:
> Hi Cloudstack community,

Hi!

Sorry that nobody got back to you earlier.

> I would like to propose two developments queries if possible (see below).
> However, it seems if I want to submit them, I have to send a git diff (I can do it if need be).
> Is it the good way to do it or I have to follow a specific process ?

We have a couple of processes... but basically, it works like this:

1) propose the changes on this list (dev@cloudstack.apache.org).

2) if the changes are "large", then it's useful to document the changes
in a functional specification.

Here's a good example:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/API+Request+Throttling

Here's the template page:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Design+Document+Template

Here's the wiki page that you would create your FS as a child page of:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Design+Documents+Not+Committed+to+a+Release

> In my mind, I thought that first we have to propose (to be sure that nobody done it or the community is ok),
> and then if everything goes fine, to do and send it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Have a good day,
>
> Best regards,
>
> Nicolas Foata

These look like good ideas, but could benefit the community by being
sent out as individual proposals.  We use subject line prefixes like
"[PROPOSE]" to get people attention, followed by a good subject
describing the proposal.

Can you break them out into their own threads?