Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Kevin <sp...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/24 14:30:02 UTC

Future of CloudStack VMware Support

Since CloudStack is moving towards an Apache project, does that mean its great compatibility with ESXi will begin to fade away in future releases because development will be focused solely on open source hypervisors?

That is the reason I had to move away from using OpenStack and would hate for the same thing to happen to CloudStack.

Kevin F.

Sent from my phone

Re: Future of CloudStack VMware Support

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Kevin <sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since CloudStack is moving towards an Apache project, does that mean its great compatibility with ESXi will begin to fade away in future releases because development will be focused solely on open source hypervisors?
>
> That is the reason I had to move away from using OpenStack and would hate for the same thing to happen to CloudStack.
>
> Kevin F.
>
> Sent from my phone

Hi Kevin:

So first a disclaimer - I speak only for myself.
That out of the way, there are no plans to ditch VMware support. It
will likely become a bit more onerous to install. (CloudStack uses the
VMware SDK which is not available under an Apache-friendly license
(but is gratis), and as we come into line with the licensing policies
of the ASF I imagine this SDK will disappear and the end-user will
have to install this on their own)
But if you check out http://wiki.cloudstack.org you'll see a number of
folks working on a number of VMware-specific enhancements like
Distributed vSwitch.

--David

Re: Future of CloudStack VMware Support

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.
Cloudstack has been Hypervisor agnostic all along. We cannot think of cloudstack that is tied to a Hypervisor. The developer community is very vibrant and won't let that happen. I think your concerns are misplaced.

-Abhi