Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net> on 2000/09/04 06:42:05 UTC

SecureSoap (was SSLSoap) Part 1 of 3.

This is  Part (1) with the attachment:
SecureSoap-BASE-08312000.zip
This is Part1 of the latest version of SSLSoap renamed
SecureSoap. It
is based on the latest XLM-SoapV2_0. I am sorry for the
pretentious name but  I am committed to do the full thing.
Please read the Design Note -)  in the directory INFO within
the root directory. This version also handles the Proxy
configuration via a Soap.properties file. I got its idea
from Apache Cocoon. IMHO HTTP headers (send & receive ) are
also handled correctly here. The idea for the 'header
handling' code  is based on the IBM AplhaWorks NASSL Tool
Kit since I am far from being an HTTP expert. The debug
trace for HTTP headers can be controlled by a flag in
Soap.properties. Currently it is on, to allow checking for
HTTP1.1 keep-alives.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Regards - George

Re: SecureSoap (was SSLSoap) Part 1 of 3.

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.
Yes. The current changes are all on the client side. I tried to be as
compatible with other soap implementations as possible. The current
SSL changes provide https or http transport to the Web Server.
Currently the Servlet Container does not come into the picture, I
just placed some https stuff there to test compatibility. :-)  My
reason for this is that Certificate handling is not supported equally
well with even Servlet2.2 spec compliant Servlet Engines. For access
validation I will try to follow a very similar philosophy. I have a I
kind of a design which I will be reviewing  with my boss in the
morning and with our 'security expert' later this week. After that I
am planning to publish a design document on this forum. I work in a
mixed NT/Unix shop and my (and my boss's) ultimate aim is to provide
Java based Web Services extensions for our applications, aka IBM's
WSK Toolkit which I would like my company to license, including your
NASSL. It is Java 'run anywhere' while Microsoft's SDL is Windows
only, easy choice! (-:
I had to use URL and not socket connections because those work with
Sun's JSSE code but sockets do not. It is JSSE and Soap2_0 which do
the real SSL work. My additions just call on JSSE API's to do the SSL
handshaking and payload encryption. I just love Java's flexibility.
The meat of the code is is within HTTPUtils.java and the changes are
really minimal.
The header handling ideas were borrowed from your WSK Tool Kit. I had
to add a configuration properties file whose idea I borrowed from
apache.Cocoon. Most of the utility code is in SecurityUtils.java
which I will extend greatly in its upcoming incarnations.
If  you just un jar the code in the Part# order then most of its
functionality can be gleaned from the srcDIFFS directory. Again, the
current changes are really minimal. They were easy to make since the
V2_0 XML-Soap is rather nicely structured.
My only regret is that the Sample interfaces had to be changed which
I describe in the Release Note within the INFO directory of Soap Root
(SecureSoap2_0/INFO).
These SSL extensions should work against any Real :-) Web Server like
Apache or IIS.
Regards - George

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.