Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2017/04/07 16:13:50 UTC

[Math][Numbers] Release(s)? What? When? Who?

Hello.

IMO, it would make sense that the next release of Commons
Math (v4.0) depend on "Commons Numbers" (v1.0 ?) and
Commons RNG (v1.1).

Could people who volunteered for moving/refactoring the
codes provide some status information and expected roadmap
for getting to a state where release of the existing modules
could be considered?
  * commons-numbers-core
     - Which other classes (namely from "o.a.c.math4.utils")
       yet to add?
  * commons-numbers-complex
     - Add "Complex" solvers (?)
  * commons-numbers-fraction
     - Add "ContinuedFraction" (?)
  * commons-numbers-quaternion

The purpose is of course to drop the corresponding CM packages.

New modules to consider for Commons Numbers:
  * commons-numbers-combinatorics
  * commons-numbers-jdkmath (from "o.a.c.m.util.FastMath")
     - Or drop "FastMath" altogether?
       Cf. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-740
  * commons-numbers-arrays (from "o.a.c.m.util.MathArrays")
  * commons-numbers-primes (from "o.a.c.m.primes")
Please comment.

Also, what is status of "Commons SigProc"?
If this new component would be released, then I guess that we
could safely drop package "o.a.c.math4.filter".

Regards,
Gilles

P.S. My last post about the CM's JIRA backlog did not elicit
      much reaction. I'd like to know what the PMC members think
      of that situation. Is the status quo (i.e. the image of CM
      getting worse with each reported bug) satisfactory for the
      PMC? [Gary, please include in the report a paragraph about
      the state of the matter.]

Re: [Math][Numbers] Release(s)? What? When? Who?

Posted by Raymond DeCampo <ra...@decampo.org>.
On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 12:13 PM, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>
wrote:

> Hello.
>

> IMO, it would make sense that the next release of Commons
> Math (v4.0) depend on "Commons Numbers" (v1.0 ?) and
> Commons RNG (v1.1).
>
> Could people who volunteered for moving/refactoring the
> codes provide some status information and expected roadmap
> for getting to a state where release of the existing modules
> could be considered?
>  * commons-numbers-core
>     - Which other classes (namely from "o.a.c.math4.utils")
>       yet to add?
>  * commons-numbers-complex
>     - Add "Complex" solvers (?)
>  * commons-numbers-fraction
>     - Add "ContinuedFraction" (?)

Looks like a good match to me.

>  * commons-numbers-quaternion
>
> The purpose is of course to drop the corresponding CM packages.
>
> New modules to consider for Commons Numbers:
>  * commons-numbers-combinatorics
>  * commons-numbers-jdkmath (from "o.a.c.m.util.FastMath")
>     - Or drop "FastMath" altogether?
>       Cf. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-740

My inclination would be to drop it based on the discussion in the
referenced issue

>  * commons-numbers-arrays (from "o.a.c.m.util.MathArrays")

Also DoubleArray and ResizableDoubleArray

>  * commons-numbers-primes (from "o.a.c.m.primes")

This looks like a natural fit for numbers.

Re: [Math][Numbers] Release(s)? What? When? Who?

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.
> On Apr 8, 2017, at 9:12 AM, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Rob, and all.
>
> [Your mail arrived a bit mangled with other posts.]
>
> On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 08:05:07 -0400, Rob Tompkins wrote:
>> > [...]
>>

>> You will have to pardon me Gilles, as I have, much like Gary, have been
>> quite busy of late. I suppose the main question here should be: of the 101
>> open, in-progress, or reopened, jiras, which most need to be in 4.0. Can we
>> sort them into two categories, 4.0 and 4.X? Do you mind if I try to make
>> some headway in this area? I will continue to read through the issues to
>> see wha
>>

> [Seems there was something more you wanted to say.]
>
> Whatever you can do to clean up (request for feedback from the issue
> reporter, sort issues, ...) is welcome of course.
>
> Let me be clearer (if I can): I do not (and cannot) request that
> contributors spend more time than they have at their disposal.
> But I would like to know whether the situation is here to stay, i.e.
> whether committers have lost interest in helping with CM and related
> stuff.

I am still quite interested in the matter at hand. My current plan is to try to triage those 101 Jiras out there. Then, regardless of direction, we can at least tackle the issues that are the most pressing first.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 09:23:02 -0400, Raymond DeCampo wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 8:50 AM, Gilles
> <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 07:56:49 -0400, Raymond DeCampo wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Gilles
>>> <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi.

>>> familiarity with Jira.
>>>

>> I'm also not a JIRA power user; it is just a proposal to open a
>> regular issue as a "TO DO" list, akin to what has been done for
>> Commons RNG:
>>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RNG-6
>>
>> And speaking of Jira, my Jira account does not seem to have proper
>>> permissions to close out issues.
>>>

>> Does it occur for all (Commons) JIRA projects?
>

> I checked with numbers, math and text and it happens with all of
> them.
>

>> Who should I contact to resolve that?
>>>

>> Gary (project's chair)? [IIRC, there has been some mix-up with
>> your Apache account(s).]
>>

> Yes, I had two Apache accounts for a bit, but that has been resolved
> and
> there is only the one now.

Then there must be some global setting missing, as I don't see
anything in the JIRA for "Numbers" that would set you apart from
the other committers.

Regards,
Gilles

Re: [Math][Numbers] Release(s)? What? When? Who?

Posted by Raymond DeCampo <ra...@decampo.org>.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hello.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 07:56:49 -0400, Raymond DeCampo wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 14:01:54 -0400, Rob Tompkins wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone created a Jira as a mechanism to track the decisioning
>>> process of classifying the other Jiras in a project?
>>>

>> Not sure if it's what you mean, but there already were issues
>> opened for tracking progress towards a release.
>>

> Gilles, what are you referring to here?  Please forgive my lack of
> familiarity with Jira.
>
> And speaking of Jira, my Jira account does not seem to have proper
> permissions to close out issues.

When it's solved, please "resolve" the issues instead; "close"
is usually done post-release. [Actually, I do not know why it's
better that way!]

Thanks,
Gilles

Posted by Raymond DeCampo <ra...@decampo.org>.
On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 14:01:54 -0400, Rob Tompkins wrote:
>
>> Has anyone created a Jira as a mechanism to track the decisioning
>> process of classifying the other Jiras in a project?
>>

> Not sure if it's what you mean, but there already were issues
> opened for tracking progress towards a release.

Gilles, what are you referring to here?  Please forgive my lack of
familiarity with Jira.

And speaking of Jira, my Jira account does not seem to have proper
permissions to close out issues.  Who should I contact to resolve that?

Re: [Math][Numbers] Release(s)? What? When? Who?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hi.

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.
Has anyone created a Jira as a mechanism to track the decisioning process of classifying the other Jiras in a project? Just curious, because it seems more appropriate than having that discussion out here on the mailing list.

Thoughts?

-Rob

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hi Rob, and all.

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@apache.org>.
On Apr 7, 2017, at 2:50 PM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Gilles,

My guess is that we experiencing a mix folks being busy and a lack of fresh
blood in Commons. I know I am busy ATM! I bet you must feel frustrated and
I am sorry about that. It does not help that there are different opinions
on how to organize items or not between Commons components. Speaking
personally, I do not have the bandwidth ATM to dig in Commons Math and
related code within and without that component. I hope others can chip in
in keeping this part of our community active.

Cheers,
Gary

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:13 AM, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

[...]

<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1617290459/ref=as_li_
tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1617290459&
linkCode=as2&tag=garygregory-20&linkId=cadb800f39946ec62ea2b1af9fe6a2b8>

<http:////ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=garygregory-20&l=am2&o=1&a=
1617290459>
JUnit in Action, Second Edition
<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1935182021/ref=as_li_
tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1935182021&
linkCode=as2&tag=garygregory-20&linkId=31ecd1f6b6d1eaf8886ac902a24de418%22>

<http:////ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=garygregory-20&l=am2&o=1&a=
1935182021>
Spring Batch in Action
<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1935182951/ref=as_li_
tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1935182951&
linkCode=%7B%7BlinkCode%7D%7D&tag=garygregory-20&linkId=%7B%
7Blink_id%7D%7D%22%3ESpring+Batch+in+Action>
<http:////ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=garygregory-20&l=am2&o=1&a=
1935182951>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [Math][Numbers] Release(s)? What? When? Who?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gilles,