Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by John Kavadias <jo...@nstc.nec.com.au> on 2002/09/06 05:34:54 UTC

RE: Attn: Denis Wang....RE: multiple user login in multiplethreads of one loop

Hi Amir.

Your 'workaround' using JMeter 1.7 seems reasonable given 1.7's feature set.

Mike advised using the nightlies, to gain access to the User Parameters config element. The online manual says:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#User_Parameters

13.4.10 User Parameters
Allows the user to specify values specific to individual threads.

Try this:

Test Plan
  Thread Group (numthreads: 4)
    User Parameters (set up the number of users to match your numthreads)
                    (set up the parameter value sets you need for each user)
    HTTP Request    (your login request, which uses parameters from above)

You can also use more HTTP specific config elements (User Parameters are generic and can be used across all JMeter objects). These are available in unstable/1.7.3, as well as the nightlies:

HTML Parameter Mask

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#HTML_Parameter_Mask

HTTP User Parameter Modifier

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#HTTP_User_Parameter_Modifier

I am using HTML Parameter Mask myself at the moment for a large population of synthetic user identities in my web app's logins. This happened to be best because of the existing tools the end to end system has for generating user identities and related data.

Adio,
John Kavadias.

Posted by Denis Wang <dw...@brandmuscle.com>.
Awesome!  Thanks a lot.
Denis

This is in response to an earlier post dated August 27th.

Going through the archives I am not sure if correct answer was given but I
will try my attempt at giving one and if I am wrong then please feel free to
correct me.

Ok...so the question was:

>>Hello, All,
>> I have been using JMeter to load test a development j2ee website for a
>> couple of weeks.  I don't know how to simulate the effect of multiple
>> different users' login with multiple threads and within one loop.  For
>> example,

>>        Loop count: 2
>>    -interleave controller
>>        user1 login
>>        user2 login
>>        user3 login
>>        user4 login
>>
>> However, the results are not as expected:
>> in the first loop, all four threads are loggined as user1;
>> in the second loop, all four threads are loggined as user2.
>>
>> What I want is:
>> In the first loop, user1 ~ user4 are loggined.
>> In the second loop, user1~ user4 are logined.
>>
>> Any help will be highly appreciated!
>> Denis

The reply was from Mike Stover was:

>You can do this using the new UserParameters config element.  It is only
available
i>n the nightlies, however.

>-Mike

However, I believe you can currently do it with 1.7 Beta 3.

My solution is as following:
1) Using an interleave controller is not correct. This will only allow you
to submit one login for each loop iteration in order from top to down. Thus,
loop one user1 login occurs. Loop two user2 login occurs. If you had a loop
three user3 login occurs but from what was stated only 2 loops were used.
2) In order to obtain the effect that was required then four thread groups
should be created. Each thread group will have only one thread per group and
only one loop per group and a ramp up period of 0 seconds. Also, aside from
the login being included as well each thread group will have a constant
timer set approximately 1000 ms apart from the value of the timer in the
at 1000 ms...thread group two will have it set at 2000 ms...etc). Since each
thread group runs concurrently then all four threads will run at the same
time with each login 1000 ms apart thus simulating exactly what Denis
needed.

Now comes my question...sorry for the mess. How exactly would Mike's
solution have worked in this same scenario? I am curious to find out. I
don't know much about this new UserParameter config and after going through
the archives and creating the javadoc from the source I still couldn't get a
clear understanding.

Mike, if you have the time I am all ears!! or I should say eyes...

:>)

amir

For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>