Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by jo...@us.ibm.com on 2002/02/06 17:23:35 UTC

Second call: Does anyone still really require Java 1.1 support?

I know _we've_ all upgraded (except for folks running MSVJ+, whom even
Microsoft has abandoned)... but when we asked this a year or so ago, some
of you said you had customers who were absolutely unwilling to upgrade.

I think it's time to ask whether that's still an issue, and whether Xalan
wants to continue to cater to (and be limited by) that audience. Sticking
with the older classes may be costing us performance, though that hasn't
been firmly established yet.

So: If we cut over, how loud will the explosion be?

(I think Shane actually asked this a few weeks back and got no response,
which suggests that everyone's pretty happy with the idea, but I want to
make sure before I start investing significant effort in finding out
whether it'd help us.)