Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "NJ Rogers, Learning and Research Technology" <Ni...@bristol.ac.uk> on 2004/09/09 15:21:37 UTC

Announcement of SWAD Europe Thesaurus API Demonstrator - DREFT (fwd)

Hi all Axis users,

As part of the SWAD-Europe project
(http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/reports/thes/) we have released the
announcement I forward here.

* What is 'DREFT'?
Our demonstrator (*not* production grade software, but freely available) is
of a SOAP Thesaurus service. We have named it DREFT. The software is
written in Java and uses Axis, plus a piece of software called 'Sesame' for
the 'semantic bit'.  Further information may be found via the forwarded
message below.

* What is the intended purpose of such a service?
It allows for the simple migration of existing thesauri / knowledge
organization systems to the Semantic Web.

* What can this service do?
For example, it can return information about thesaurus concepts to clients.
Client-side applications will typically ask questions such as
"Please send me concepts that have the keyword 'education'" (a response
will include scope notes, preferred and non-preferred labels for such
concepts if they exist),
or,
"Please send me concepts that are broader/narrower than the concept that
has the preferred label 'insulating material'"

And so on. In this way a thesaurus service on the network may be used by
any application (non-Semantic Web applications included) that needs to work
with thesaurus terms. In future work cross-mappings between thesauri may be
implemented for DREFT (some standards work has already been completed
towards this end).

* Is DREFT Standards-based?

Well, I'm brave enough to admit that our current version of DREFT uses an
RPC/Encoded service style ;-) However subsequent versions will likely
employ the Doc/Literal service style to equal effect.

In order to constrain message content for interoperability DREFT currently
uses:
i) the RDF schema for thesauri - SKOS (see [1] below) - plus
ii) WSDL definitions for the complex types, plus
iii) the SOAP Data Encoding schema

This is sufficient for our purposes, but obviously an XML schema (based on
SKOS) could be used in addition to i) and ii) to support interoperability
for XML-based applications.

Regards,
Nikki Rogers