Posted to mod_dtcl@tcl.apache.org by Johnny Mnemonic <jo...@themnemonic.org> on 2001/03/15 16:14:02 UTC

Including apache headers?

Since apache doesn't need to be recompiled for loading the mod_dtcl as a
shared module, why don't we include the apache header in the mod_dtcl tree?
Then, a user won't need the apache src for adding dtcl to his server..

At the moment i'm preparing a GNU configure script for the mod_dtcl, which
other than the standard checks will try to guess your system settings

____________________________________
Johnny Mnemonic©

E-Mail Address:
- johnny@themnemonic.org

Re: Including apache headers?

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@apache.org>.
Johnny Mnemonic <jo...@themnemonic.org> writes:

> Since apache doesn't need to be recompiled for loading the mod_dtcl
> as a shared module, why don't we include the apache header in the
> mod_dtcl tree?  Then, a user won't need the apache src for adding
> dtcl to his server..

That's doable.  It depends on whether the user wants to build mod_dtcl
as a static part of mod_dtcl, or as a shared object.

> At the moment i'm preparing a GNU configure script for the mod_dtcl,
> which other than the standard checks will try to guess your system
> settings

Ok, be sure to use as much stuff as you can from tclConfig.sh...  See
the latest stuff from CVS.

David N. Welton
   Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/
     Personal: http://www.efn.org/~davidw/
         Work: http://www.innominate.com/

Re: Including apache headers?

Posted by Craig Huckabee <hu...@spawar.navy.mil>.

> > > Since apache doesn't need to be recompiled for loading the mod_dtcl as
> > > shared module, why don't we include the apache header in the mod_dtcl
> >tree?
> > > Then, a user won't need the apache src for adding dtcl to his server..
> > >

> >Pardon me if I am totally incorrect, but I don't think it is just one
> >header.  That is one header that sucks in a bunch of other headers, with
> >several platform specific header files (os.h) also being required.  And
how
> >do we keep those headers in sync with changes in the Apache sources ?
>
> Of course, the Apache headers would be contained in its own dir (and
subdirs)
> And what is the problem in synching with changes in the Apache sources?
> They actually don't
> release a new version each day.. so just cp -a src/include...

Problem comes in for users who want to build Apache + some module that makes
changes to those header files.  An example would be mod_ssl.  My concern was
that our "virgin" header files would cause problems.  But I think you
address this below...

> >And, speaking for the Windows minority, we need the Apache sources around
in
> >any case, in order to make a usable link library.
>
> I have no idea about this

I do since I did the build and wrote the readme :)  The sources + objects
from a Win32 build of Apache are used to make a libapachecore.a that the
mod_dtcl.so (or ApacheModuleDtcl.dll) is linked against.  Still a shared
module, just need to create that import lib for Win32 users.

> The configure script will accept the includes' dir in the command line,
and
> if not provided will
> use his own ones.

Great.

--Craig

Craig Huckabee  huck@spawar.navy.mil
Compliance Corporation
SPAWAR Systems Center-Charleston, SC

Re: Including apache headers?

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@apache.org>.
Johnny Mnemonic <jo...@themnemonic.org> writes:

> I can't imagine a reason because someone could want to compile
> statically the module into the apache (if dynamic modules are
> supported)

Because it's a tiny bit faster, and maybe more efficient (you don't
have to have a mod_so, for instance).

I personally wouldn't compile it in statically, but we should support
that option.

Posted by Johnny Mnemonic <jo...@themnemonic.org>.
At 13.06 15/03/2001 -0500, you wrote:

> > Since apache doesn't need to be recompiled for loading the mod_dtcl as a
> > shared module, why don't we include the apache header in the mod_dtcl
>tree?
> > Then, a user won't need the apache src for adding dtcl to his server..
> >

>Pardon me if I am totally incorrect, but I don't think it is just one
>header.  That is one header that sucks in a bunch of other headers, with
>several platform specific header files (os.h) also being required.  And how
>do we keep those headers in sync with changes in the Apache sources ?

Of course, the Apache headers would be contained in its own dir (and subdirs)
And what is the problem in synching with changes in the Apache sources?
They actually don't
release a new version each day.. so just cp -a src/include...

>And, speaking for the Windows minority, we need the Apache sources around in
>any case, in order to make a usable link library.

I have no idea about this
Anyway, adding include files is only a comfort for those who are only
interested in compiling and running this module. I can't imagine a reason
because someone could want to compile statically the module into the apache
(if dynamic modules are supported)
The configure script will accept the includes' dir in the command line, and
if not provided will
use his own ones.

>Not trying to butt in, just trying to point out some possible issues.

You are welcome :)

Posted by Craig Huckabee <hu...@spawar.navy.mil>.