Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by John Summerfield <su...@OS2.ami.com.au> on 2000/07/18 21:49:56 UTC

Re: Correct mod_server.so? -> Need help getting Tomcat and Apache t o co-operate

> My Apache version is as follows:
> Server version: Apache 1.3.9 (Unix)
> Server Built: Nov 19, 1999 01:11:28
>
> The problem with getting Tomcat to work with Apache appears to be getting a
> version of the MOD_JSERV.SO that my Apache install will recognize. I've
> downloaded the binaries including the MOD_JSERV.SO for Linux from the
> Jakarta Project download site.
>
> I've modified the TOMCAT.CONF file so with the following line:
>
> LoadModule jserv_module /usr/libexec/apache/mod_jserv.so
>
> I can start Tomcat ok but when I try to start the Apache server using the
> httpd command, it simply will not start. All I get is the prompt back. ps -A
> | grep httpd gets nothing.
>
> If I rem out the above LoadModule line in tomcat.conf, then Apache will
> start ok.

I'm not sure about the placement of the LoadModule - I think Apache is a
bit picky about these things.

> With the binary version of Tomcat, I tried the mod_jserv.so version off of
> the download site. I also downloaded the source code and  built a version of
> the mod_serv.so by myself using the information in the User's Guide - apxs
> -c *.c -o mod_jserv.so but I got the same results - Apache just won't start.
>
> I then downloaded the Tomcat 3.2 beta version and with the downloaded
> version of mod_jserv.so, received the following error message:
>
> Syntax Error on line 13 of /tomcat32/jakarta-tomcat/conf/tomcat.conf API
> module structure  'jserv_module' in file /usr/libexec/apache/mod_jserv.so is
> garbled - perhaps this is not an Apache  module DSO?
>
> So at least some sort of error handling is working but ...

I'm using the rpm shipped by Henri Gomez for RHL with Apache 1.3.12 and,
after some significant changes to the spec file, have something nearly
usable.

"usable" means (to me) that I can install Apache, install Tomcat and
tomcat-jserv and it works. I can remove tomcat-jserv and Apache still
works. I can reinstall it and ...

If someone reminds me off-list, I will post my changed spec file in the
next day or too to the general list where there is already some relevant
discussion.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield