Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Venkata Reddy P <Ve...@trianz.com> on 2016/05/19 16:56:17 UTC

Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/tomcat/util/descriptor/tld/TldParser

Hi,

In tomcat8.0.33,while starting the tomcat server from <CATALINA_HOME>\bin\startup.bat, it is getting the below NoClassDefFoundError.
I have verified 1) All the tomcat bundled jars are available under <CATALINA_HOME>\lib folder including tomcat-util.jar.
2) I have also tried adding all the jars to property (tomcat.util.scan.StandardJarScanFilter.jarsToScan=,,,,,) in catalina.properties file

Could you please suggest me am I still missing anything else?

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException:
Failed to start component [StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/poc]]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.report(FutureTask.java:122)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.startInternal(ContainerBase.java:916)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.startInternal(StandardHost.java:871)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:147)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1408)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1398)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/auth]]
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:153)
        ... 6 more
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/tomcat/util/descriptor/tld/TldParser

Many Thanks in advance.

RE: Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/tomcat/util/descriptor/tld/TldParser

Posted by Venkata Reddy P <Ve...@trianz.com>.
Hi,

I am walking through the tomcat8 Class Loader (https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html), it looks like CLASSPATH variable is totally ignored in tomcat8 if tomcat server started using catalina.bat.

does it apply for startup.bat also? If yes, then  is there any other way to set the classpath variable like in tomcat6.x?

System — This class loader is normally initialized from the contents of the CLASSPATH environment variable. All such classes are visible to both Tomcat internal classes, and to web applications. However, the standard Tomcat startup scripts ($CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh or %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina.bat) totally ignore the contents of the CLASSPATH environment variable itself, and instead build the System class loader from the following repositories:

◦$CATALINA_HOME/bin/bootstrap.jar — Contains the main() method that is used to initialize the Tomcat server, and the class loader implementation classes it depends on.

◦$CATALINA_BASE/bin/tomcat-juli.jar or $CATALINA_HOME/bin/tomcat-juli.jar — Logging implementation classes. These include enhancement classes to java.util.logging API, known as Tomcat JULI, and a package-renamed copy of Apache Commons

Logging library used internally by Tomcat. See logging documentation for more details.

If tomcat-juli.jar is present in $CATALINA_BASE/bin, it is used instead of the one in $CATALINA_HOME/bin. It is useful in certain logging configurations

◦$CATALINA_HOME/bin/commons-daemon.jar — The classes from Apache Commons Daemon project. This JAR file is not present in the CLASSPATH built by catalina.bat|.sh scripts, but is referenced from the manifest file of bootstrap.jar.

Many Thanks in advance.