Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/12 10:46:12 UTC

warning: API break FormComponent#checkRequired and FormComponentPanel

All,

Please read https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-839 and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-840 and check whether
this effects you. I didn't have time to look at the wicket-stuff
projects, but if you are extending FormComponentPanel, you'll have to
implement checkRequired now.

Regards,

Eelco

Re: warning: API break FormComponent#checkRequired and FormComponentPanel

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
> Please read https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-839 and
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-840 and check whether
> this effects you. I didn't have time to look at the wicket-stuff
> projects, but if you are extending FormComponentPanel, you'll have to
> implement checkRequired now.

Strike that. Igor and I had a long discussion on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-839, and we could come to
an agreement. But then I realized a third way - one I initially tried
to avoid - is actually better to start with. The API breaks are rolled
back, and instead setRequired is made non-final so that a component
like DateTimeField can override it and call setRequired on it's nested
date text field. It is not as flexible nor enforcing as the initial
change, but to the upside, there is no break, and messages work better
like this.

Eelco