Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2002/02/13 22:52:38 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/logging/src/java/org/apache/commons/logging/impl LogFactoryImpl.java

on 2/12/02 6:18 PM, "craigmcc@apache.org" <cr...@apache.org> wrote:

>   Log log = LogFactory.newFactory().getInstance("foo");

Why not have:

public class LogFactory
{
    public Log getInstance(String foo)
    {
        return newFactory().getInstance(foo);
    }
}

Then all you need to do is:

   Log log = LogFactory.getInstance("foo");

Seems cleaner 2 me.

-jon

RE: cvs commit:jakarta-commons/logging/src/java/org/apache/commons/logging/implLogFactoryImpl.java

Posted by co...@covalent.net.
On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Paulo Gaspar wrote:

> What about multiple logging hierarchies?

I think the best solution is to add an explicit 'guard' or 'domain' to the
API.

We don't have to do it now - but we must make sure it is clear that
getInstance() _should_ return a local logger in a container env -
so 2 different applications using the same name for a logger will
not get mixed up.

Using the thread class loader as the default 'domain' ( in case
getInstance( name ) is called ) is reasonable, given that most
containers will use that, and that the factory/logger discovery
is dependent on the class loader.

In a future version ( or in this one ? ) we can add the explicit
getInstance( Object domain, String name ), and different apps will
be able to share a Log ( assuming they have access to a common
guard object ).

Costin

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.