Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Zhenyu Zheng <zh...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/18 09:41:35 UTC

Proposal to make Hadoop more compatible with AArch64 platforms

Hi Hadoop,

Some of you might see the related proposal in JIRA(
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-16358) already, but I want to
raise it to a wider audience and clarify some potential misunderstandings.

I’m from OpenLab team(https://openlabtesting.org/ ,a community to do open
source project testing, this is OpenLab charter:
https://github.com/theopenlab/governance/blob/master/CHARTER.md). One of
our goal is to make more opensource software to be more compatible for
AArch64 platforms. And since Hadoop is the most important one in BigData
area, we would like to propose to work on AArch64 related works in Hadoop.

Even though OpenLab is a community to do open source project testing, using
OpenLab for testing AArch64 related works is not mandatory, what we really
want to do is to help build the AArch64 eco system in BigData area. We have
a developer team that willing to work on this and we also have some AArch64
resources that we are willing to provide for Hadoop community to connect to
the current CI system to perform related testings.

Rome wasn't built in a day, so we plan to start a simple target to add
AArch64 build job for Hadoop, to verify Hadoop and its subprojects can be
compiled on AArch64 successfully, OpenLab's developers will maintain build
CI jobs and address the CI issues, then we can add more complex test cases
on AArch64, like: unit tests and functional tests, step by step, it's a
long term works. Of course, welcome another developers join to maintain the
AArch64 CI.

Thanks for your attention.