Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2012/03/06 01:29:27 UTC

Bigtop Incubator Report (March 2012)

Please take a look at the following report and let me know if anything
is missing.
If I don't hear from anybody in 24 hours I'll submit it up the chain
(mentors, etc)

Bigtop

Bigtop is a project for the development of native packaging and stack
tests of the Hadoop ecosystem.

Bigtop entered incubation on June 20, 2011.

Primary issues blocking graduation:
* Need for increased diversity and additional committers.

Issues which Incubator PMC and/or ASF Board might need/wish to be aware of:
* None

Community development since last report:
* Our regular Bay Area Bigtop meetup/class is going strong with ~10 members
  http://www.meetup.com/HandsOnProgrammingEvents/
* Bigtop talk @Bay Are Hadoop User group:
  http://www.meetup.com/hadoop/events/36789782/
* Gave talks on Bigtop @ApacheCON 2011
* Submitted talk proposals to Hadoop summit (http://hadoopsummit.org/)
   and HBase conf.

Project development since last report:
* 0.3.0-incubating is in a process of being released
* Significantly improved our deployment code (puppet) with the help of
an external contributor (Patrick Ramsey)
* Added code for producing virtual machine images with Bigtop Hadoop
stack baked in
* Added code for producing LiveCD/LiveUSB distros of Hadoop stack
* Bigtop branch based on Hadoop 0.23 has stabilized to a point where
we can start thinking of making 0.4.0 release based on it
* Used Bigtop to validate Zookeeper 4.3.* releases
* Used Bigtop to validate Hadoop 1.0.* RC and Hadoop 0.23.*RC release
* Additional component project Bigtop-jsvc added.
* Additional component project Bigtop-tomcat added.
* Increased the # and scope of integration tests

Re: Bigtop Incubator Report (March 2012)

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
> Please take a look at the following report and let me know if anything
> is missing.
> If I don't hear from anybody in 24 hours I'll submit it up the chain
> (mentors, etc)

> Bigtop
>
> Bigtop is a project for the development of native packaging and stack
> tests of the Hadoop ecosystem.
>
> Bigtop entered incubation on June 20, 2011.
>
> Primary issues blocking graduation:
> * Need for increased diversity and additional committers.
>
> Issues which Incubator PMC and/or ASF Board might need/wish to be aware of:
> * None
>
> Community development since last report:
> * Our regular Bay Area Bigtop meetup/class is going strong with ~10 members
>   http://www.meetup.com/HandsOnProgrammingEvents/
> * Bigtop talk @Bay Are Hadoop User group:
>   http://www.meetup.com/hadoop/events/36789782/
> * Gave talks on Bigtop @ApacheCON 2011
> * Submitted talk proposals to Hadoop summit (http://hadoopsummit.org/)
>    and HBase conf.
>
> Project development since last report:
> * 0.3.0-incubating is in a process of being released
> * Significantly improved our deployment code (puppet) with the help of
> an external contributor (Patrick Ramsey)
> * Added code for producing virtual machine images with Bigtop Hadoop
> stack baked in
> * Added code for producing LiveCD/LiveUSB distros of Hadoop stack
> * Bigtop branch based on Hadoop 0.23 has stabilized to a point where
> we can start thinking of making 0.4.0 release based on it
> * Used Bigtop to validate Zookeeper 4.3.* releases
> * Used Bigtop to validate Hadoop 1.0.* RC and Hadoop 0.23.*RC release
> * Additional component project Bigtop-jsvc added.
> * Additional component project Bigtop-tomcat added.
> * Increased the # and scope of integration tests

+1 LGTM

Re: Bigtop Incubator Report (March 2012)

Posted by Wing Yew Poon <wy...@cloudera.com>.
> * Used Bigtop to validate Zookeeper 4.3.* releases

Is it ZooKeeper 4.3 or 3.4?

Re: Bigtop Incubator Report (March 2012)

Posted by Peter Linnell <pl...@cloudera.com>.
> Please take a look at the following report and let me know if anything
> is missing.
> If I don't hear from anybody in 24 hours I'll submit it up the chain
> (mentors, etc)

> Bigtop
>
> Bigtop is a project for the development of native packaging and stack
> tests of the Hadoop ecosystem.
>
> Bigtop entered incubation on June 20, 2011.
>
> Primary issues blocking graduation:
> * Need for increased diversity and additional committers.
>
> Issues which Incubator PMC and/or ASF Board might need/wish to be aware of:
> * None
>
> Community development since last report:
> * Our regular Bay Area Bigtop meetup/class is going strong with ~10 members
>    http://www.meetup.com/HandsOnProgrammingEvents/
> * Bigtop talk @Bay Are Hadoop User group:
>    http://www.meetup.com/hadoop/events/36789782/
> * Gave talks on Bigtop @ApacheCON 2011
> * Submitted talk proposals to Hadoop summit (http://hadoopsummit.org/)
>     and HBase conf.
>
> Project development since last report:
> * 0.3.0-incubating is in a process of being released
> * Significantly improved our deployment code (puppet) with the help of
> an external contributor (Patrick Ramsey)
> * Added code for producing virtual machine images with Bigtop Hadoop
> stack baked in
> * Added code for producing LiveCD/LiveUSB distros of Hadoop stack
> * Bigtop branch based on Hadoop 0.23 has stabilized to a point where
> we can start thinking of making 0.4.0 release based on it
> * Used Bigtop to validate Zookeeper 4.3.* releases
> * Used Bigtop to validate Hadoop 1.0.* RC and Hadoop 0.23.*RC release
> * Additional component project Bigtop-jsvc added.
> * Additional component project Bigtop-tomcat added.
> * Increased the # and scope of integration tests

Please add

Invited talk for  http://softwarelivre.org/fisl12 e.g. The invite has
been made; I have the choice of topic.

The formal proposal will be forthcoming, but it will be about Bigtop and
Bigdata.

Thanks,
Peter