Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org> on 2007/08/30 01:22:21 UTC

Post-1.0.0 release actions

OpenJPA Developers-

With my remaining awesome (albeit waning) 1.0.0 Release Manager
powers, I went ahead and executed a few actions that we had discussed:

1. Cut a new branch for maintenance on the 1.0 line at http://
svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openjpa/branches/1.0.x/ (I thought "1.0.x"
would be cleared than the branch name "1.0" which we have previously
mentioned). Bug fixes destined for releases 1.0.1, 1.0.2, etc. should
go on this line.

2. Made a tag of the release at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/
openjpa/tags/1.0.0/

3. Updated the release instructions at http://cwiki.apache.org/
openjpa/releasing-openjpa.html to reflect the new procedures.

4. Semi-manually updated the maven repository at /www/
people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository as per the release
page. If all goes well, the OpenJPA modules should be available from
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/org/apache/openjpa soon.

5. Merged up the changes in the 1.0.x branch into trunk (by running
the following command in a freshly checked-out trunk view: vn merge -
r  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openjpa/branches/1.0.x/, fixing
the conflicts, the committing).

Questions:

1. Should we move our continuum build at http://vmbuild.apache.org/
continuum/projectGroupSummary.action?projectGroupId=18 over to the
"1.0.x" branch, or keep in on "trunk"?

Unless there are any other issues with the release, thus ends my
tenure as OpenJPA 1.0.0 Release Manager. Thank you to everyone who
helped make this release a success!

Moving forward, I believe we should work towards a 1.0.1 release with
a new Release Manager soon, if for no other reason than that any
issues with the release instructions can be handled while they are
still fresh in my mind. Note, however, that I am going to be on
vacation for the entire month of September, so I won't be able to
assist with anything until October.

--
Marc Prud'hommeaux

Re: Fwd: Post-1.0.0 release actions

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
The best practice is to create two groups, one by branch. So you can identify easily all projects in a branch and you can build all projects of the branch by building the group. When you want to
delete the branch from Continuum, you only need to remove the group that contain the branch.

Emmanuel

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi,

Any best practice for continuum-ly building two separate branches of
a code line?

Thanks,

Craig

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
> Date: August 30, 2007 5:25:16 PM PDT
> To: Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>
> Cc: dev@openjpa.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Post-1.0.0 release actions
>
> Can you ask continuum-users or -dev?
>
> The branch support in Continuum is quite new and I don't have a lot
> of experience with it, so Emmanuel will give a better answer.
>
> My impression is that, at the moment, the branch support is still
> suited to switching a single project, not maintaining multiple
> ones, so a separate group is probably appropriate (it's what we do
> on the Maven one).
>
> Cheers,
> Brett
>
> On 31/08/2007, at 3:30 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:
>
>> Hi Brett,
>>
>> We'd like to build both trunk and branches/1.0.x using continuum.
>> These are two living code lines (with more to be added over time).
>>
>> What's best practice in terms of continuum? I think adding a
>> second project called OpenJPA 1.0.x would be appropriate, instead
>> of adding 14 new projects to the existing OpenJPA project.
>>
>> Please advise,
>>
>> Craig
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:

>> Craig Russell
>> jdo
>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
>> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Post-1.0.0 release actions

Posted by pl...@gmail.com.
FWIW, I have a teamcity instance running that builds, tests, runs the
tck, and uploads 1.0.x whenever there's a svn checkin.

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey
202 669 5907

Re: Post-1.0.0 release actions

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Brett,

Re: Post-1.0.0 release actions

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.
Craig-

> Another part of the post-release analysis is deciding on how to
> update the release instructions. Last I looked earlier in the week
> they still reference the incubator. And we need to update the
> instructions to add the post-release merge back to the trunk...

I've updated the instructions at http://openjpa.apache.org/releasing-
openjpa.html with the newer procedure, although they don't mention
doing the merge.

Re: Post-1.0.0 release actions

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.