Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rumpa Giri <gi...@yahoo.com> on 2006/05/03 17:52:38 UTC

tomcat service/JDK question

We installed the tomcat service using the following script. We had a question regarding what JAVA_HOME the tomcat use once you  create the service? Does it depend on the system property defined %JAVA_HOME% or does the path present in the following batch file (if hard coded) takes precedence?

  The following script does use the JAVA_HOME property, I wanted to know if it was hard coded what would have happened.

  SET CATALINA_HOME=C:\tomcatGroup\NewTomcat_S7
SET CATALINA_BASE=C:\tomcatGroup\NewTomcat_S7

 @echo off

 echo CATALINA_HOME: %CATALINA_HOME%
 echo CATALINA_BASE: %CATALINA_BASE%
 echo JAVA_HOME: %JAVA_HOME%
 pause
 set BASEDIR=%CATALINA_HOME%
 call "%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\setclasspath.bat"

 set args=%args% --Description=TOMCATNEWS7
 set args=%args% --DisplayName=TOMCATNEWS7

 set args=%args% --Startup=auto

 set args=%args% --LogPath=%CATALINA_BASE%\logs
 set args=%args% --LogLevel=DEBUG
 set args=%args% --StdError==%CATALINA_BASE%\logs\TOMCAT_S7_err.log
 set args=%args% --StdOutput=%CATALINA_BASE%\logs\TOMCAT_S7_out.log

 set args=%args% --Classpath="%CLASSPATH%;%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\bootstrap.jar"

 set args=%args% --JavaHome=%JAVA_HOME%
 set args=%args% --Jvm=%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll
 set args=%args% --JvmOptions="-Xms128m;-Xmx512m;-Dcatalina.base=%CATALINA_BASE%;-Dcatalina.home=%CATALINA_HOME%;-Djava.endorsed.dirs=%CATALINA_HOME%\common\endorsed"

 set args=%args% --StartMode=jvm
 set args=%args% --StartClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
 set args=%args% --StartParams=start
 rem set args=%args% --StartImage=%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat5.exe
 rem set args=%args% --StartPath=%CATALINA_HOME%\bin

 set args=%args% --StopMode=jvm
 set args=%args% --StopClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
 set args=%args% --StopParams=stop
 rem set args=%args% --StopImage=%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat5.exe
 rem set args=%args% --StopPath=%CATALINA_HOME%\bin

 %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat5.exe //IS//TOMCATNEWS7 %args%
 set args=
 set BASEDIR=

  We have tomcat services configured from past, we are trying to upgrade to JDK 1.5.0, tomcat version 5.0.25. We changed the JAVA_HOME properties and modified the PATH. But after starting existing tomcat services we are getting the following exception:
  ------------------------------------
  java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: <className> (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)
  -----------------------------------

  For new tomcat service installation using the above script, we do not have the exception, the proper JDK seems to be used while executing.
  The new tomcat installation is nothing but a copy of existing tomcat instance with changed server.xml port numbers.

  What can be different in the old tomcat services? Can the way the service was installed make a difference as described above?

  Thanks for reading,
  Rumpa Giri

---------------------------------

Re: tomcat service/JDK question

Posted by Rumpa Giri <gi...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks a lot Sreeni.
  Yes it is pointing to JDK 1.4.

  Thanks again,
  Rumpa Giri

Sreenivasulu R Gaddam <ga...@yahoo.com> wrote:
  Tomcat takes the jvm path from the registry
parameters.

you can look at the jvm paramter at

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apache sotware
foundation\procrun2.0\tomcat5\paramters\java

under registry entries.

You can change these values by editing registry or by
running tomcat5w.exe under /bin.

-Sreeni.

--- Rumpa Giri wrote:

> [...]
> set args=
> set BASEDIR=
>
> We have tomcat services configured from past, we
> are trying to upgrade to JDK 1.5.0, tomcat version
> 5.0.25. We changed the JAVA_HOME properties and
> modified the PATH. But after starting existing
> tomcat services we are getting the following
> exception:
> ------------------------------------
> java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
> (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)
> -----------------------------------
>
> For new tomcat service installation using the
> above script, we do not have the exception, the
> proper JDK seems to be used while executing.
> The new tomcat installation is nothing but a copy
> of existing tomcat instance with changed server.xml
> port numbers.
>
> What can be different in the old tomcat services?
> Can the way the service was installed make a

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Mail goes everywhere you do.  Get it on your phone.

Re: tomcat service/JDK question

Posted by Sreenivasulu R Gaddam <ga...@yahoo.com>.
Tomcat takes the jvm path from the registry
parameters.

you can look at the jvm paramter at

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apache sotware
foundation\procrun2.0\tomcat5\paramters\java

under registry entries.

You can change these values by editing registry or  by
running tomcat5w.exe under <tomcat_dir>/bin.

-Sreeni.