Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Entropy <bl...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/02 16:10:19 UTC

Wicket on the Amazon Cloud?

We've done our last several apps in Wicket.  It's our framework.  But our
next app, the client has stated they want implemented on Amazon WebServices
Cloud.  Because of the automatic scaling, the advice seems to be that you
want to write your apps to be stateless.  But of course, Wicket is very
stateful.

So the question here is, has anyone implemented Wicket in AWS Cloud in such
as way as to take advantage of the auto-scaling?  Any tips?

Re: Wicket on the Amazon Cloud?

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

+1 to what Edmont Urbani said!
You either need to keep your pages stateless or you need to use distributed
page store (see
https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/tree/master/datastores-parent for
several impls).

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting
https://twitter.com/mtgrigorov

Posted by "Urbani, Edmund" <ed...@lilandit.com>.

Email: Edmund.Urbani@Lilandit.com <ma...@lilandit.com>

Posted by "Urbani, Edmund" <ed...@lilandit.com>.
On 05/02/2016 04:10 PM, Entropy wrote:
> We've done our last several apps in Wicket.  It's our framework.  But our
> next app, the client has stated they want implemented on Amazon WebServices
> Cloud.  Because of the automatic scaling, the advice seems to be that you
> want to write your apps to be stateless.  But of course, Wicket is very
> stateful.
A typical Wicket application is stateful in order to take full advantage of
Wicket's features, but it does not have to be (see
http://examples7x.wicket.apache.org/stateless/).

> So the question here is, has anyone implemented Wicket in AWS Cloud in such
> as way as to take advantage of the auto-scaling?  Any tips?
I have not done this with AWS but I assume the issues there are not that much
different from other load-balancing / clustering setups. A crucial decision is
whether to use sticky sessions. Without sticky sessions you will typically need
session replication (again assuming your webapp is stateful) and if you keep
your sessions to a minimal size eg. through loadable-detachable models, this
should work reasonably well.