Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by "Matthew J. Duftler" <du...@watson.ibm.com> on 2001/05/29 17:18:27 UTC

VOTE: Release v2.2

Hi All,

Well, I think it's time to vote on releasing v2.2. The only changes from
v2.2RC3 are the addition of iPlanet install docs and the order-reversal of
the res.setContentType(...) and res.getWriter() calls in the doGet(...)
method impls.

Once the voting is done, I can post the release this afternoon or early
evening.

Thanks,
-Matt

To start things off, here's my vote: +1

Re: Release v2.2

Posted by Glen Daniels <gd...@macromedia.com>.
> The classes are in the WEB-INF/classes directory, which is a completely
> acceptable alternate to putting the jar file. So what's the problem?

<shake head sadly>

Apologies.  It was obviously too late for me to be up.  You're quite right,
ALL the classes are in there.  I'd thought only the samples were being put
in, which was the source of my confusion.

I'll back out the build.xml change, which is now redundant.

+1 to the release (and also to getting more sleep:)).

--Glen

Re: Release v2.2

Posted by Glen Daniels <gd...@macromedia.com>.
Hi Sanjiva:

> > I just did an "ant dist" and got two errors building the samples.  Looks
> > like both com/client/addit.java and com/client/sum.java are the wrong
case
> > (files should perhaps be Addit.java and Sum.java to match the class
> names -
> > problem went away for me when I renamed them)... is anyone else seeing
> this?
>
> I just downloaded RC3 and don't see this problem. The case was changed
> sometime ago .. could it be that your CVS repository is out of sync?

I just deleted the samples dir as Doug recommended and indeed that fixes the
problem.  Excellent!  (although I did a full update last night - I wonder
why that didn't get caught...)  I knew this had to be something like this.

> It is certainly an acceptable approach to put the jar file in the lib
> dir of the WEB-INF directory. However, the approach in the current
> build is also correct and works. I don't see any need to do a new
> candidate just because there's a different way to do something.

Here's my take on this.  WAR files are all about easy deployment.  You
should not actually be forced to alter classpath settings for your servlet
engine just to get a webapp installed and working.  As it stands, we bother
to generate a WAR and yet we still have to either manually modify it (I
notice the installation instructions for iPlanet involve actually adding
soap.jar to the war file's lib directory :)) or go through the same
classpath-setting hoops we were going through before.  To me, that
invalidates the whole point of including the war in the first place.

> If there aren't any problems I urge you to lift your -1.

See above.  If we're going to be well-behaved members of the J2EE
application community, I'd prefer we used the specs and tools that are
available in the correct ways.

If this works, we can remove time-consuming and error-prone pieces of the
installation process.  Isn't that a good thing?

dist people as well).  2) remove the war file from the build entirely (which
would be sad).

--Glen

Re: Release v2.2

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.
Glen Daniels writes:
> -1 as is.  I'm really sorry to do this at the 11th (12th? :)) hour, but I
> finally actually tried out the dist for real.

I'm rather disappointed that you didn't check out the release
candidates and waited until a vote was called to bring this
up. Nevertheless, problems are problems ..

> I just did an "ant dist" and got two errors building the samples.  Looks
> like both com/client/addit.java and com/client/sum.java are the wrong case
> (files should perhaps be Addit.java and Sum.java to match the class
names -
> problem went away for me when I renamed them)... is anyone else seeing
this?

I just downloaded RC3 and don't see this problem. The case was changed
sometime ago .. could it be that your CVS repository is out of sync?

Also, are you doing ant dist on the 2.2RC3 tree? If so that's not
what's intended for the release .. we're not expecting people to build
distributions from our distribution! However, just to see what it does,
I did "ant dist" on the RC3 tree and it worked fine.

> I also wanted to really quickly update the JRun installation docs to take
> advantage of the soap.war file, which I did, but while doing so noticed
that
> the war file doesn't contain WEB-INF/lib/soap.jar!!
>
> This last bit is really broken.  It means there's basically no point to
the
> war file at all - i.e. you can't just drop it into your servlet engine and
> expect things to work without futzing with your classpath.

The classes are in the WEB-INF/classes directory, which is a completely
acceptable alternate to putting the jar file. So what's the problem?

> I'm checking in a new build.xml, which you are welcome to do with as you
> will, but I think the last one is a show-stopper.  I'm not sure what to do
> about the first one - who owns these files?  Is it just my environment?

It is certainly an acceptable approach to put the jar file in the lib
dir of the WEB-INF directory. However, the approach in the current
build is also correct and works. I don't see any need to do a new
candidate just because there's a different way to do something.

> These changes aren't much, but I don't feel comfortable doing the release
> unless we can build the samples and generate a soap.war that works (I
> confirmed that it does in fact work with the new build.xml).

Can you please check your environment and see whether there are any
real problems? So far I haven't been able to verify any of the problems
you found ..

If there aren't any problems I urge you to lift your -1.

Thanks,

Sanjiva.

RE: Release v2.2

Posted by "Matthew J. Duftler" <du...@watson.ibm.com>.
Hi Glen,

I know that these 2 issues have been addressed already, but I'll just add my
2 cents since I was responsible for both of them.

> I just did an "ant dist" and got two errors building the samples.  Looks
> like both com/client/addit.java and com/client/sum.java are the wrong case
> (files should perhaps be Addit.java and Sum.java to match the
> class names -
> problem went away for me when I renamed them)... is anyone else
> seeing this?

I am the one who changed the case on these files. I removed them and
re-added them, using standard CVS mechanisms, but CVS wasn't happy. I sent
out a note to the list saying that folks will most likely have to remove
that directory to get the update to happen correctly. The following is the
text of that note sent on 5/16:

>I changed the case of the addit and sum samples, and CVS seems unhappy with
>me. You may need to remove the samples/com/client directory before
updating.

>Thanks,
>-Matt

> I also wanted to really quickly update the JRun installation docs to take
> advantage of the soap.war file, which I did, but while doing so
> noticed that
> the war file doesn't contain WEB-INF/lib/soap.jar!!

We had originally put the soap.jar file in the lib directory, but some J2EE
servers weren't handling this correctly. We had problems with the reference
implementation in particular. Since every server we tried seemed to do ok
when the classes themselves were in there, we figured this was the way to
cover the most containers, and still be in compliance.

Thanks,
-Matt

Re: Release v2.2