Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by seventhlie <ri...@hotmail.com> on 2011/10/31 09:34:41 UTC

Some steps not recorded through HTTP Proxy Server

Hi All

I am fairly new to JMeter. I am trying to record my browsing of the website
I want to test. I setup everything (recording controller, listener, http
proxy server).

The problem arises when I try to record logging in to the website. The
results tree (listener) shows the results of me logging in, however the
recorder does not record the step or any of the subsequent pages I visit. It
does however record the logout step and any pages I view after that (or the
webpage since when I playback the test how can it log out when it never
logged in).

I noticed an earlier post wherever someone was facing issues recording "POST
requests" and think that might be the case here as well. It was attributed
to the chance of a bug, but I have some doubts about that. Any input will be
greatly appreciated.

Regards

Re: Some steps not recorded through HTTP Proxy Server

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 29 November 2011 06:59, seventhlie <ri...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the input guys! badboy works for what I am trying to do.
> Thought I'd share my result.

Can you share a bit more about the URLs you are requesting?

The JMeter Proxy creates the sampler, stores it in the test plan
(unless told to ignore that URL) before running it and returning the
data to the browser.

So missing samples can only occur if
- JMeter was told to ignore the URL
- the browser does not actually use the JMeter Proxy for certain requests.

For example, browser proxy settings frequently ignore local hosts; and
also browser proxy settings are often specified separately for http
and https protocols.

This does not affect browser add-ons such as BadBoy because they
operate in the browser, before the request is sent.

It would be helpful to know why the JMeter Proxy did not work in your case.
Were the URLs that did not get recorded somehow different from the
ones that did work?

Re: Some steps not recorded through HTTP Proxy Server

Posted by seventhlie <ri...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by David Luu <ma...@gmail.com>.
Rather than use a proxy or as Bruce mentions when proxying is
blocked/excluded, or when dealing with Flash, Silverlight, and Java
applets, you might try this solution I used:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/perl/webautomaton.aspx

A knowledgeable person can even modify the sample parser script in that
solution to generate a JMeter test plan instead of Perl based script from
the HTTP traces. The generated test plan would be much like using the HTTP
Proxy server and recording controller of JMeter. Without a parser, you can
just manually review the HTTP traces to construct your test plan with HTTP
samplers the manual way.

Posted by ZK <st...@gmail.com>.
Have you tried recording your test with  http://www.badboy.com.au/ BadBoy
and exporting to jmeter?