Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org> on 2017/09/24 20:50:42 UTC

Royale Logo

Hi,

I've been working this week end on a logo for Royale and want to share my
work in progress. Please try the following link:

http://royale.codeoscopic.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/royale_logo.png

The concept is a modern icon logo build with simplicity in mind and with
lines and circles that could have multiple uses (black over white, white
over black, colored, outlined, special finish...). The example only shows
some work at the current state. In need more work to be finished.

The logo has various meanings. It's a crown to give the user the main
concept of Royale, something magnificent, superb, best in its class...but
as well tries to give you some key points of the main composition
architecture in Royale, the Strand-Beads concept with a base line (the
strand) that conects circles (beads). So my intention is give the
possibility of various meanings in one logo while try to keep it simple.

The fonts used are "Aclonica" google fonts.

The last example is not finished (gradients are not perfectly done yet and
other things needs more polish) and is only a possible finish but it's
really to show how could it be, but I'm sure I'll be redoing it from
scratch, but I must left it for today.

Although it's still a work in progress I think is worth it to share it with
the community and see reactions and if you think if it will be a good logo
or try another concept.

So please share your thoughts!

Thanks

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

RE: [Non-DoD Source] Royale Logo

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
Definitely on the right track.  Looks good already.  Lower left is clean and just needs some color.  Lower right the gradients are a bit off, like you already said you are still working them.

-Mark K

Re: Royale Logo

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Having the word apache in the logo is likely to help with branding and trademarks. See for example Apache Hadoop [1], Apache Spark [2], Apache Kafka [3] (and there are others as well i.e. cordova, storm, ant, solr, open office, geode + others and of course the http project).

Apache Spark changed their logo a little while back to include Apache and looks like Maven icon has also been updated to include 2 Apache feathers to make a V (don’t recall them being their before). Perhaps the logo could play on the expression “feather in your crown”?

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://hadoop.apache.org
2. http://spark.apache.org
3. https://kafka.apache.org

Re: Royale Logo

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

It is not a requirement. I was curious. Having it might help the brand. Certainly the website design will need Apache branding. (Not all project are fully in compliance with brand policy, but we try.)

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 24, 2017, at 8:02 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> Is having "Apache" in the logo a requirement?  I'm not convinced every
> other Apache project is doing that (or incorporating the feather either).
>
> We do need the "TM" in the logo though.
>
> Thanks,
> -Alex
>
>> On 9/24/17, 2:35 PM, "Dave Fisher" <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> It's pretty cool. I like the path overlays - it made me think of the
>> Olympic logo.
>>
>> Since the project is Apache Royale how would the word Apache be
>> incorporated as a logotype?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Sep 24, 2017, at 1:50 PM, Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been working this week end on a logo for Royale and want to share
>>> my
>>> work in progress. Please try the following link:
>>>

>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Froyale.co
>>> deoscopic.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F09%2Froyale_logo.png&data=0
>>> 2%7C01%7C%7C9cebac683de74cee43df08d503947ede%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178
>>> decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636418858678387243&sdata=HjM%2B%2BE%2FzW7rRhf7FQ%2Fa%2Bx

Re: Royale Logo

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi,

many thanks for the feedback. Very valuable and is great in order for me to
know the direction we all want for the logo. I'll try to put some thoughts
on various things exposed in the thread:

1.- The creative process is, in my experience an iterative one. As much
iterations, you should get a better result. So I'm not done for the final
logo yet, but is great to see it's on the right track.

2.- Apache could fit in the logo, as we did with Apache Flex, or as we see
in examples posted. I see it with same but small font. Or as Alex said "by
Apache" or something like that. I prefer not confuse the logo with the text
since this should end in less clear results.

3.- For colors, some of you pointed to have the multicolor as in Apache
Flex. While I try to figure it is dificult to see It in my head since this
logo is more simple than the other one. I think we don't need such
reference to Apache Flex. Moreover we want to create something from scratch
and one of the initial motivations was get rid of the Flex brand since we
want to compete in the new world of actual frameworks.

4.- Regarding efforts, and as I mention in the first point, is normal to go
for other parts (web site part) and build those other pieces that can help
to iterate more this one, and the same for those other parts until we feel
we reach a good state.

5.- The first two versions (with dashed line) was only showed to show you
wireframe design lines. That should not be used (maybe some in that line
could be used for a "labs" part on our site, or something like that). My
intention was only to show the creative process.

6.- As Harbs I prefer logos as simple as possible. I think this one is "on
the limits", and maybe I could propose another one more simple but with
less meaning. Must to think about it.

7.- The final one with gradients is only and example of finish. I could
iterate over it, or change it completely depending on the rest of the web.
I depends totally on the final web design. the other ones (black over
white, white over black, outlined, ....) are needed to use in specific
cases, pages, footers, menus, or things like that)

8.- I'll have the TM into account for final version

So, many thanks again for your comments. My plans in the next days are to
continue in other task (web site design), and will come again over the logo
to continue refinement and propose a final one. I'll continue to showing
things as I can depending on my progress.

Carlos

--

<http://www.codeoscopic.com>

Carlos Rovira

Director General

M: +34 607 22 60 05

http://www.codeoscopic.com

http://www.avant2.es

Conocenos en 1 minuto! <https://youtu.be/P2IEAYDG5HU>

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: Royale Logo

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Re: Royale Logo

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
When I said “enhance”, I meant both in terms of design and in terms of message. I too am not sure where Apache will be an attraction or not. I’d be very interested in what others think.

One of the first projects I looked at when seeing how they did it was Struts (considering it’s in the news and all) ;-)

They don’t have Apache or the feather in the logo, but they mention Apache in the main header and have a link back to apache.org <http://apache.org/> in the top right.[1]
Eagle’s site is nice. They have a feather as their logo. It does not look at all like the Apache feather, but it likely got inspiration from that.[2]
CouchDB has Apache very deemphasized.[3]

Other projects have varying degrees of emphasizing the Apache name and/or the feather. (for example[4][5][6])

It seems to me we should put together the best message we can and how the Apache brand fits into that is part of the bigger picture.

[1]https://struts.apache.org/ <https://struts.apache.org/>
[2]http://eagle.apache.org/ <http://eagle.apache.org/>
[3]http://couchdb.apache.org/ <http://couchdb.apache.org/>
[4]http://hadoop.apache.org/ <http://hadoop.apache.org/>
[5]http://helix.apache.org/ <http://helix.apache.org/>
[6]https://openoffice.apache.org/ <https://openoffice.apache.org/>

Re: Royale Logo

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Re: Royale Logo

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Some do, some don’t.

From my perspective, if it enhances it, we should add it. If not, leave it out.

Re: Royale Logo

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi Dave,

Re: Royale Logo

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Re: Royale Logo

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
  My first thought is positive.  I like the font and the spacing. But,
if you want a more nitpicky answer...

  A project [or brand] wants to be seen as going upward to greater
heights.  Generally this is communicated by pointing up and/or to the
right.  Fedex and Amazon are two prominent logo examples of this.

  The first thing I saw, right in dead center of the crown, is an
'arrow' pointing down.  Then I see them pointing left and right. Only
two of these 'triangle arrows' point up, and only ones points to the
right. The obvious 'point up' points are rounded.

  The curved line at the bottom of the crown looks like a frown. Or it
combine it the two triangles above and it looks like someone slanting
their eyes, as if upset.

   I'm pulling out too many 'hidden' images. ;)

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: Royale Logo

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Same as Om I really would like to see the colors in logos which has some
connection to Apache Flex logo. The last logo is closer to that and it's my
favorite.

In the first two split lines brings to me that something is work in
progress, exported from photoshop or something - Not sure whether you
understand my feelings.

Thanks,
Piotr

--