Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Thomas Johansson <tj...@tripnet.se> on 2005/12/08 14:49:51 UTC

[users@httpd] Including non-existent symlinks

I know, that just sounds wrong. However, I have to get around the problem.
We're setting up an apache-installation in a HP ServiceGuard cluster and
ran into a problem. There's virtual hosts tied to the ip-numbers jumping
around in the cluster, so each virtual host gets it's own config file,
like

/cluster_pkg1/conf/httpd.conf
/cluster_pkg2/conf/httpd.conf

These files are included in the main httpd.conf like this

Include /cluster_conf/httpd-confs/

In this directory there's a bunch of symlinks pointing to the
httpd.conf-files in the cluster packages, like this

/cluster_conf/httpd-confs/clpkg1.conf -> /cluster_pkg1/conf/httpd.conf
/cluster_conf/httpd-confs/clpkg2.conf -> /cluster_pkg2/conf/httpd.conf

Now, when one of these symlinks are broken apache will not start. The
symlinks are broken when the cluster package is running on some other node
since /clpkg1 and /clpkg2 are just empty mountpoints when the package has
moved.
Is there a way around this? There aren't any other ways I can think of to
do this other than some shellscript to generate a new httpd.conf and
restart apache at each clusterpackage event, which would be sort of
clumsy. We are using 1.3.27 at the moment.

--
There are two major products that come out of Berkeley:
LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. -- Jeremy S. Anderson

Thomas Johansson | http://thomas.watchmen.se