Posted to rampart-dev@ws.apache.org by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/26 22:19:31 UTC

[Axis2] Creation of the 1.6 branch

All,

I'm going to create a branch for the 1.6 release (with the current
HEAD of the trunk as the baseline). The first goal will be to
determine if we need any releases from upstream projects. I'm aware
that there are still ongoing discussions about what should and what
should not go into the 1.6 release. This is not an issue because we
can always change the baseline, i.e. remove changes from the 1.6
branch or merge additional changes from the trunk.

In order to keep the branch manageable, I would like to propose the
following guidelines (which proved effective for the 1.5.2 release):
* Changes should not be done directly to the 1.6 branch. Instead, they
should always be done to the trunk first and then merged to the branch
if necessary. Of course, exceptions are made for release specific
changes, e.g. changes required to make the branch compatible with
releases from upstream projects.
* Merges should only be done using a recent version of the svn command
line client, or another client that updates the svn:mergeinfo
properties. This is important to keep track of the changes that have
been merged to the branch.

Regards,

Andreas

Re: [Axis2] Creation of the 1.6 branch

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Glen,

I think your point of view is based on a wrong assumption about the
"extra work" caused by branching earlier in the release process.
Assume that we create the branch today and that people just continue
committing to the trunk without taking into account the existence of
the 1.6 branch. If after three weeks we decide that the trunk has all
the changes that need to go into 1.6, we can merge all these pending
changes with a single svn command. Even if in the meantime, some
individual changes have already been merged to the 1.6 branch, this is
not an issue. Subversion is smart enough to manage this, provided that
the merges have been done using a client that updates the
svn:mergeinfo. That really doesn't sound like much extra work.

Actually, the strategy you are proposing will cause more extra work
because of the issue discussed in [1]. There is at least one change
(probably it's the only one) that introduces a dependency on Axiom
1.2.10. However, this change is not critical and can wait for Axis2
1.6.1, i.e. we don't need a new Axiom release for Axis 1.6. With your
strategy, we would need to temporarily revert that change and reapply
it after the release. On the other hand, if we create a 1.6 branch
now, we simply leave that change on the trunk and only remove it from
the branch.

Finally, switching the dependencies of the trunk from snapshots to
releases also means that we loose our ability to detect issues
introduced by changes in upstream projects, i.e. continuous
integration will no longer be effective. Since you assume that it will
take quite some time to get 1.6 out, this may become an issue.

Andreas

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/5vglqb6o63k2w34l

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Glen,

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Glen,

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Glen,

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Glen,

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Andreas,

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Andreas,

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Andreas,

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Andreas,

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Andreas,

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
First, these guidelines were written at a time when Subversion didn't
have an effective mechanism to track merges. Second, there is also a
guideline that says that the trunk should "be pointing at SNAPSHOT
versions of all dependencies. This allows for continuous integration
with our partner projects." This is indeed very important as the
recent issue with the XmlSchema release has shown. However, if we
don't create the branch now, we will only discover very late in the
process if we need releases from upstream projects.

Basically, there is an inconsistency between the following two items
in the release guidelines:

* Ideally a release branch is only around for a week or maybe two
before the release happens.
* Soon after a release branch is cut, the RM is responsible for
removing ALL dependencies on SNAPSHOT versions and replacing them with
officially released versions. This change happens only on the release
branch.

This is not realistic because it doesn't take into account the fact
that in some cases, replacing a snapshot dependency by an official
release requires a new release of the dependency. This obviously
invalidates the assumption that a release branch would only exist for
one or two weeks.

Andreas

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

These days I'm in a client site and  really busy with my daytime job
and I don't think I can release Woden  myself until mid December , It
would be great if any one else willing to be a RM for Woden this time.
Since last few months Woden code base is stable and ready for next
release, I was start to configure maven-release-plug-in but couldn't
finish it , only remaining tasks are  Maven release configuration plus
dry run , other details are mentioned here [1] , I also can help in
the mailing list.

[1] - http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Woden/WodenReleaseGuide

Thanks ,

Sagara Gunathunga

Blog - http://ssagara.blogspot.com
Web - http://people.apache.org/~sagara/

Re: [Axis2] Creation of the 1.6 branch

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
hi,

<an...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm expecting that the proponents of the last minute approach are not
> simply sitting in the peanut gallery, but that one of them is ready to
> step forward as a volunteer to do the release using this approach...
>
> Andreas
>
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:25, Samisa Abeysinghe
> <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > +1 for creating the branch at the last minute.
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >>  I agree with Glen. We should only cut the new branch when we are
> >> absolutely sure about the release date.
> >>
> >> Deepal
> until

> they
> branch
> command

> > Thanks,
> > Samisa...
> >
> > Samisa Abeysinghe
> > VP Engineering
> > WSO2 Inc.
> > http://wso2.com
> > http://wso2.org

Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [Axis2] Creation of the 1.6 branch

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
hi,

<an...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm expecting that the proponents of the last minute approach are not
> simply sitting in the peanut gallery, but that one of them is ready to
> step forward as a volunteer to do the release using this approach...
>
> Andreas
>
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:25, Samisa Abeysinghe
> <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > +1 for creating the branch at the last minute.
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >>  I agree with Glen. We should only cut the new branch when we are
> >> absolutely sure about the release date.
> >>
> >> Deepal
> until

> they
> branch
> command

> > Thanks,
> > Samisa...
> >
> > Samisa Abeysinghe
> > VP Engineering
> > WSO2 Inc.
> > http://wso2.com
> > http://wso2.org

Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [Axis2] Creation of the 1.6 branch

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
hi,

<an...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm expecting that the proponents of the last minute approach are not
> simply sitting in the peanut gallery, but that one of them is ready to
> step forward as a volunteer to do the release using this approach...
>
> Andreas
>
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:25, Samisa Abeysinghe
> <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > +1 for creating the branch at the last minute.
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >>  I agree with Glen. We should only cut the new branch when we are
> >> absolutely sure about the release date.
> >>
> >> Deepal
> until

> they
> branch
> command

> > Thanks,
> > Samisa...
> >
> > Samisa Abeysinghe
> > VP Engineering
> > WSO2 Inc.
> > http://wso2.com
> > http://wso2.org

Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [Axis2] Creation of the 1.6 branch

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
hi,

<an...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm expecting that the proponents of the last minute approach are not
> simply sitting in the peanut gallery, but that one of them is ready to
> step forward as a volunteer to do the release using this approach...
>
> Andreas
>
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:25, Samisa Abeysinghe
> <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > +1 for creating the branch at the last minute.
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >>  I agree with Glen. We should only cut the new branch when we are
> >> absolutely sure about the release date.
> >>
> >> Deepal
> until

> they
> branch
> command

> > Thanks,
> > Samisa...
> >
> > Samisa Abeysinghe
> > VP Engineering
> > WSO2 Inc.
> > http://wso2.com
> > http://wso2.org

Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [Axis2] Creation of the 1.6 branch

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
hi,

<an...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm expecting that the proponents of the last minute approach are not
> simply sitting in the peanut gallery, but that one of them is ready to
> step forward as a volunteer to do the release using this approach...
>
> Andreas
>
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:25, Samisa Abeysinghe
> <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > +1 for creating the branch at the last minute.
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >>  I agree with Glen. We should only cut the new branch when we are
> >> absolutely sure about the release date.
> >>
> >> Deepal
> until

> they
> branch
> command

> > Thanks,
> > Samisa...
> >
> > Samisa Abeysinghe
> > VP Engineering
> > WSO2 Inc.
> > http://wso2.com
> > http://wso2.org

Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [Axis2] Creation of the 1.6 branch

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1 for creating the branch at the last minute.

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>wrote:

>  I agree with Glen. We should only cut the new branch when we are
> absolutely sure about the release date.
>
> Deepal
> > Hmm.  I guess I'm not entirely convinced that we should cut the branch
> yet. Our general release guidelines [1] are to hold off branching until
> we're just about ready to release, to avoid unnecessary merging.
> >
> > Why not just keep working on the trunk for now, at least until we resolve
> some of the issues you point out?
> >
> > --Glen
> >
> > [1] http://ws.apache.org/axis2/release-process.html
> >
> > "Andreas Veithen" <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> All,
> >>
> >> I'm going to create a branch for the 1.6 release (with the current
> >> HEAD of the trunk as the baseline). The first goal will be to
> >> determine if we need any releases from upstream projects. I'm aware
> >> that there are still ongoing discussions about what should and what
> >> should not go into the 1.6 release. This is not an issue because we
> >> can always change the baseline, i.e. remove changes from the 1.6
> >> branch or merge additional changes from the trunk.
> >>
> >> In order to keep the branch manageable, I would like to propose the
> >> following guidelines (which proved effective for the 1.5.2 release):
> >> * Changes should not be done directly to the 1.6 branch. Instead, they
> >> should always be done to the trunk first and then merged to the branch
> >> if necessary. Of course, exceptions are made for release specific
> >> changes, e.g. changes required to make the branch compatible with
> >> releases from upstream projects.
> >> * Merges should only be done using a recent version of the svn command
> >> line client, or another client that updates the svn:mergeinfo
> >> properties. This is important to keep track of the changes that have
> >> been merged to the branch.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Andreas

Samisa...

Samisa Abeysinghe
VP Engineering
WSO2 Inc.
http://wso2.com
http://wso2.org

Re: [Axis2] Creation of the 1.6 branch

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1 for creating the branch at the last minute.

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>wrote:

>  I agree with Glen. We should only cut the new branch when we are
> absolutely sure about the release date.
>
> Deepal
> > Hmm.  I guess I'm not entirely convinced that we should cut the branch
> yet. Our general release guidelines [1] are to hold off branching until
> we're just about ready to release, to avoid unnecessary merging.
> >
> > Why not just keep working on the trunk for now, at least until we resolve
> some of the issues you point out?
> >
> > --Glen
> >
> > [1] http://ws.apache.org/axis2/release-process.html
> >
> > "Andreas Veithen" <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> All,
> >>
> >> I'm going to create a branch for the 1.6 release (with the current
> >> HEAD of the trunk as the baseline). The first goal will be to
> >> determine if we need any releases from upstream projects. I'm aware
> >> that there are still ongoing discussions about what should and what
> >> should not go into the 1.6 release. This is not an issue because we
> >> can always change the baseline, i.e. remove changes from the 1.6
> >> branch or merge additional changes from the trunk.
> >>
> >> In order to keep the branch manageable, I would like to propose the
> >> following guidelines (which proved effective for the 1.5.2 release):
> >> * Changes should not be done directly to the 1.6 branch. Instead, they
> >> should always be done to the trunk first and then merged to the branch
> >> if necessary. Of course, exceptions are made for release specific
> >> changes, e.g. changes required to make the branch compatible with
> >> releases from upstream projects.
> >> * Merges should only be done using a recent version of the svn command
> >> line client, or another client that updates the svn:mergeinfo
> >> properties. This is important to keep track of the changes that have
> >> been merged to the branch.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Andreas

Samisa...

Samisa Abeysinghe
VP Engineering
WSO2 Inc.
http://wso2.com
http://wso2.org

Re: [Axis2] Creation of the 1.6 branch

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1 for creating the branch at the last minute.

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>wrote:

>  I agree with Glen. We should only cut the new branch when we are
> absolutely sure about the release date.
>
> Deepal
> > Hmm.  I guess I'm not entirely convinced that we should cut the branch
> yet. Our general release guidelines [1] are to hold off branching until
> we're just about ready to release, to avoid unnecessary merging.
> >
> > Why not just keep working on the trunk for now, at least until we resolve
> some of the issues you point out?
> >
> > --Glen
> >
> > [1] http://ws.apache.org/axis2/release-process.html
> >
> > "Andreas Veithen" <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> All,
> >>
> >> I'm going to create a branch for the 1.6 release (with the current
> >> HEAD of the trunk as the baseline). The first goal will be to
> >> determine if we need any releases from upstream projects. I'm aware
> >> that there are still ongoing discussions about what should and what
> >> should not go into the 1.6 release. This is not an issue because we
> >> can always change the baseline, i.e. remove changes from the 1.6
> >> branch or merge additional changes from the trunk.
> >>
> >> In order to keep the branch manageable, I would like to propose the
> >> following guidelines (which proved effective for the 1.5.2 release):
> >> * Changes should not be done directly to the 1.6 branch. Instead, they
> >> should always be done to the trunk first and then merged to the branch
> >> if necessary. Of course, exceptions are made for release specific
> >> changes, e.g. changes required to make the branch compatible with
> >> releases from upstream projects.
> >> * Merges should only be done using a recent version of the svn command
> >> line client, or another client that updates the svn:mergeinfo
> >> properties. This is important to keep track of the changes that have
> >> been merged to the branch.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Andreas

Samisa...

Samisa Abeysinghe
VP Engineering
WSO2 Inc.
http://wso2.com
http://wso2.org

Re: [Axis2] Creation of the 1.6 branch

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1 for creating the branch at the last minute.

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>wrote:

>  I agree with Glen. We should only cut the new branch when we are
> absolutely sure about the release date.
>
> Deepal
> > Hmm.  I guess I'm not entirely convinced that we should cut the branch
> yet. Our general release guidelines [1] are to hold off branching until
> we're just about ready to release, to avoid unnecessary merging.
> >
> > Why not just keep working on the trunk for now, at least until we resolve
> some of the issues you point out?
> >
> > --Glen
> >
> > [1] http://ws.apache.org/axis2/release-process.html
> >
> > "Andreas Veithen" <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> All,
> >>
> >> I'm going to create a branch for the 1.6 release (with the current
> >> HEAD of the trunk as the baseline). The first goal will be to
> >> determine if we need any releases from upstream projects. I'm aware
> >> that there are still ongoing discussions about what should and what
> >> should not go into the 1.6 release. This is not an issue because we
> >> can always change the baseline, i.e. remove changes from the 1.6
> >> branch or merge additional changes from the trunk.
> >>
> >> In order to keep the branch manageable, I would like to propose the
> >> following guidelines (which proved effective for the 1.5.2 release):
> >> * Changes should not be done directly to the 1.6 branch. Instead, they
> >> should always be done to the trunk first and then merged to the branch
> >> if necessary. Of course, exceptions are made for release specific
> >> changes, e.g. changes required to make the branch compatible with
> >> releases from upstream projects.
> >> * Merges should only be done using a recent version of the svn command
> >> line client, or another client that updates the svn:mergeinfo
> >> properties. This is important to keep track of the changes that have
> >> been merged to the branch.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Andreas

Samisa...

Samisa Abeysinghe
VP Engineering
WSO2 Inc.
http://wso2.com
http://wso2.org

Re: [Axis2] Creation of the 1.6 branch

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1 for creating the branch at the last minute.

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>wrote:

>  I agree with Glen. We should only cut the new branch when we are
> absolutely sure about the release date.
>
> Deepal
> > Hmm.  I guess I'm not entirely convinced that we should cut the branch
> yet. Our general release guidelines [1] are to hold off branching until
> we're just about ready to release, to avoid unnecessary merging.
> >
> > Why not just keep working on the trunk for now, at least until we resolve
> some of the issues you point out?
> >
> > --Glen
> >
> > [1] http://ws.apache.org/axis2/release-process.html
> >
> > "Andreas Veithen" <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> All,
> >>
> >> I'm going to create a branch for the 1.6 release (with the current
> >> HEAD of the trunk as the baseline). The first goal will be to
> >> determine if we need any releases from upstream projects. I'm aware
> >> that there are still ongoing discussions about what should and what
> >> should not go into the 1.6 release. This is not an issue because we
> >> can always change the baseline, i.e. remove changes from the 1.6
> >> branch or merge additional changes from the trunk.
> >>
> >> In order to keep the branch manageable, I would like to propose the
> >> following guidelines (which proved effective for the 1.5.2 release):
> >> * Changes should not be done directly to the 1.6 branch. Instead, they
> >> should always be done to the trunk first and then merged to the branch
> >> if necessary. Of course, exceptions are made for release specific
> >> changes, e.g. changes required to make the branch compatible with
> >> releases from upstream projects.
> >> * Merges should only be done using a recent version of the svn command
> >> line client, or another client that updates the svn:mergeinfo
> >> properties. This is important to keep track of the changes that have
> >> been merged to the branch.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Andreas

Samisa...