Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/07 13:34:11 UTC

Download site could do with pointers to other releases and link to KEYS file

The Apache Subversion download site [1] only has a short list of files.

There's no header or footer as is used by many other ASF products.

It would be helpful to have some pointers to the Subversion archives,
and a link to the KEYS file, see for example [2] and [3]

[1] http://www.apache.org/dist/subversion/
[2] http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/
[3] http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/

Re: Download site could do with pointers to other releases and link to KEYS file

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 7 September 2011 16:15, Hyrum K Wright <hy...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:37 AM, C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net> wrote:
>> On 09/07/2011 10:22 AM, sebb wrote:
>>> Samples available from:
>>>
>>> http://people.apache.org/~sebb/subversion/
>>>
>>> I added some dummy files to show what it would look like.
>>
>> I can see the utility of some sort of header bit that says, essentially:
>>
>>   This is a mirror of the Apache Subversion distribution collection.  For
>>   more information about the files you see here, including:
>>
>>     * how to download them from another mirror server which might be
>>       geographically nearer to you,
>>     * how to verify their integrity,
>>     * how to build the Apache Subversion software they contain, and
>>     * how to locate older versions thereof,
>>
>>   please see http://subversion.apache.org/download/.
>>
>> But the rest of what you have in your example is information duplicated from
>> the above URL (and makes for a pretty noisy page overall).  All we need to
>> do is give folks the minimal amount of information required to help them
>> find the rest of the information they might seek.
>
> I just added text similar to this to w.a.o/dist/subversion.  It may
> take a while to sync live (and folks should feel free to edit it).
>
> I hope all the bikeshedding hasn't scared anybody off; I think the
> original suggestion to have something a bit more complete is a valid
> one.

The header definitely helps, but for people that know how to check
sigs, it would be helpful to have a link to the keys file in
HEADER.html.

Posted by Hyrum K Wright <hy...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hyrum K Wright <hy...@wandisco.com>.
On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 8:23 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 September 2011 14:13, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
>> I think a HEADER.html that links to our download page (that already
>> has all that information) would be fine?
>
> That's not nearly as convenient as having the information on the same
> page (though a link to the download page would be useful).
> Also the headers/footers are mirrored worldwide; download page has
> only 2 mirrors.

I guess I may not fully understand the problem you are trying to
solve.  As a project, we universally direct people to
subversion.apache.org/download/ as the place to get our source
packages.  Rarely do we expect people to go directly to w.a.o/dist/,
and if they do, we should expect that they at least have some idea
what they are doing.

Having some kind of documentation to inform the wayward souls who
stray to w.a.o/dist/ rather than s.a.o/download/ would be nice, but it
shouldn't duplicate the content of s.a.o/download/.  I think we'd all
rather maintain one set of docs and just redirect people there (with
the added bonus that it get more folks to use the mirror network).

> It's easy enough to modify one of the existing header/footer files for
> use with Subversion.

That should be fine.

-Hyrum

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
I see your point.  My intention was to avoid duplication of information.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hyrum K Wright <hy...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 7 September 2011 13:57, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 September 2011 13:47, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
>> On the same topic, I note that a README file is present in the dist dir
>> on people.a.o, but not in the dist dir on www.a.o.
>
> I seem to remember that README files are not synched.

Actually, they are synched - it's just that they do not show up in the
directory listing on www.a.o or www.eu.a.o

But http://www.apache.org/dist/subversion/README does exist

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.