Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "Morrison, John" <Jo...@uk.experian.com> on 2002/01/24 13:41:15 UTC

Check Source

Hi,

Please read the attached EMail.  Basically this is *easy* to integrate
in the build as a seperate target.  Question is: should I.  Do people
see the point of this?

I added it (temporarily) and we have currently got "13779 errors".  Now,
most of these errors are, in all likelyhood, very trivial (whitespace
for example)...

Should it be available?

Additional jar's at compile time:

antlr.jar
checkstyle-1.4.jar
jakarta-regexp-1.2.jar

J.

--

The problem with engineers is that they tend to cheat in order to get
results.

The problem with mathematicians is that they tend to work on toy
problems in order to get results.

The problem with program verifiers is that they tend to cheat at toy
problems in order to get results.

of this email.

Re: Check Source

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@wkwyw.net>.
I'm new to this list and have yet to contribute in any way. However, I
feel sure that my opinion will be as valid as any other so here goes...

I feel that conformance to coding standards is very important any
project. In my internal projects I always enforce adherence to these
standards (and will now consider using this application rather than
relying on the code prettifiers in our IDE). I therefore feel that
integrating this software is of great value.

13779 errors is a great many erros but if we encourage all developers to
correct any they see in code they work on these should gradually reduce.
For example Konstantin Piroumian recently highlighted a number of
problems in some code he is looking at, perhaps he will take the time to
fix them now he knows what standard we should be using. In the tiny bit
of code he quotes there are 5 errors, all very easy to fix (especially
if you have a code prettifier in your IDE which is set to the SUN
standards).

I would say yes, lets have it, but lets not try and remove the 13000+
errros in one go. As long as the figure falls slowly and new
contributions to not make it rise then we should eventually win the battle.

Ross