Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Caspar MacRae <ea...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/02 16:59:57 UTC

host.key

Hello,

When trying to SSH into a fresh copy of a custom distro I keep getting the
error message that the DSA key for that host has changed.

The host.key files from our custom distro are marked read-only and checking
timestamps before and after, also a diff shows no difference.  So what am
doing wrong/missing that is causing the SSHd to send out a different key?

Our custom distro builds for different servers with each having separate
properties and a host.key file, but other than that it just contains a
blueprint ldap jaas module, jce provider (bouncy castle), branding, altered
mvn repo urls and features.

thanks,
Caspar

Re: host.key

Posted by Caspar MacRae <ea...@gmail.com>.
Hi JB,

I was doing something stupid;  in the assembly.xml I had
<lineEnding>unix</lineEnding> which was mangling the host.key file.
Initially this was causing a new key to be generated only on first run, but
I later compounded the problem by setting it read-only
<fileMode>0444</fileMode> which helped identify the problem as I then got
the warning message with every reboot and attempted login (as the new key
was being generated on each run).

(The message is the normal warning when a host key changes, the same thing
I get when a server is reinstalled: WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS
CHANGED! ... IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY! possible
man-in-the-middle attack ...)

Best regards,
Caspar

Re: host.key