Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Al Byers <by...@automationgroups.com> on 2011/02/24 19:11:53 UTC

Let's rewrite OFBiz in ... (was: Clear trend...)

Just kidding in the subject. But I think it is an interesting discussion.

Wouldn't Groovy require a licensed Java runtime and therefore not
qualify as a replacement for Java?

I am thinking that because more and more sites will be doing mashups
of data from different source sites (and for other reasons, like
HTML5), that more work will be drawn in from server apps to client
apps (ie. javascript) and the interactions with the server will be
more of the simpler RESTful type. If that is the case, there would be
some incentive to use the same language on the server as on the client
(ie. javascript). I think that is why you are seeing more
javascript-based servers and frameworks cropping up which are
initially designed to handle the RESTful transactions. The new
javascript engines solve the speed problem and the single-threaded
problem is being solved other ways.

-Al

Re: Let's rewrite OFBiz in ... (was: Clear trend...)

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "BJ Freeman" <bj...@free-man.net>
>I have been moving as much as I can from java classes to minilanq to get
> ready for a total redesign, by replacing the java classes with Pascal.
> this puts the actually program at machine code level so has to be
> compiled for the processor it runs on.
>
> The real headache will be replacing all the libraries used in ofbiz.
>
> the minilang relies on calling the "helper" classes and libraries more
> than it does now.
>
> if you put stuff in JavaScript there is no continuity between browser
> implementations, so can not designed anything.

jQuery hides those problems, not sure it's 100% reliable though...

Jacques

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.