Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Tena Sakai <ts...@gallo.ucsf.edu> on 2009/05/19 23:43:53 UTC

newbie confused about "verifying release"

Hi,

I am a newbie and just got started with derby.  I was doing what this page
  http://db.apache.org/derby/releases/release-10.5.1.1.cgi#Verifying+releases
instructed.

The host is a redhat linux.
  uname -vro
returns:
  2.6.9-78.0.1.ELsmp #1 SMP Tue Jul 22 18:01:05 EDT 2008 GNU/Linux

Here are responses from the two commands:
  [tsakai@vixen Derby]$ gpg --import KEYS
  gpg: key AB1B7EE4: "Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>" not changed
  gpg: key AB821FBC: "Samuel Andrew McIntyre (Apache Derby Project) <fu...@nonintuitive.com>" not changed
  gpg: key 21EA3ECD: "Mike Matrigali <mi...@sbcglobal.net>" not changed
  gpg: key 8E8367B1: "Satheesh Bandaram (Apache Derby Project) <sa...@Sourcery.Org>" not changed
  gpg: key 99586C26: "Jean T. Anderson <jt...@bristowhill.com>" not changed
  gpg: key B1669287: "Kathey Marsden <km...@apache.org>" not changed
  gpg: key 98E21827: "Rick Hillegas <rh...@apache.org>" not changed
  gpg: key 0C8EBFBE: "David Van Couvering (My Apache Key) <da...@apache.org>" not changed
  gpg: key 990ED4AA: "Knut Anders Hatlen <ka...@apache.org>" not changed
  gpg: key 88D83722: "Andreas Korneliussen <an...@broadpark.no>" not changed
  gpg: key 5355D01C: "Dag H. Wanvik (Derby committer) <da...@apache.org>" not changed
  gpg: key 37AA956A: "Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>" not changed
  gpg: key FFCCF7B1: "Dyre Tjeldvoll <dy...@apache.org>" not changed
  gpg: Total number processed: 13
  gpg:              unchanged: 13
  [tsakai@vixen Derby]$
  [tsakai@vixen Derby]$ gpg --verify db-derby-10.5.1.1-src.tar.gz.asc
  gpg: Signature made Tue 14 Apr 2009 02:27:52 PM PDT using DSA key ID 37AA956A
  gpg: Good signature from "Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>"
  gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
  Primary key fingerprint: 66C3 0B69 5415 91E3 A777  F84D 0E13 F75A 37AA 956A
  [tsakai@vixen Derby]$

What I don't understand is at the bottom:
  gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.

Can someone please clue me in?  Is this good, bad, neutral?
Should I do something (and if so, what)?  Should I ignore and move on?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Tena Sakai
tsakai@gallo.ucsf.edu

RE: newbie confused about "verifying release"

Posted by Tena Sakai <ts...@gallo.ucsf.edu>.
Hi Kurt,

Many thanks for your reply.

I redid everything by downloading the .gz file,
.gz.asc, and .gz.md5.  I was a bit skeptical,
but to my surprise I was able to produce exactly
the same thing as you did.

  [tsakai@vixen Derby]$ gpg --refresh-keys
                      .
                      .
  gpg: Total number processed: 20
  gpg:              unchanged: 17
  gpg:           new user IDs: 5
  gpg:         new signatures: 263
  [tsakai@vixen Derby]$
  [tsakai@vixen Derby]$ gpg --update-trustdb
  gpg: checking at depth 0 signed=0 ot(-/q/n/m/f/u)=0/0/0/0/0/1
  [tsakai@vixen Derby]$
  [tsakai@vixen Derby]$ gpg --verify db-derby-10.5.1.1-src.tar.gz.asc
  gpg: Signature made Tue 14 Apr 2009 02:27:52 PM PDT using DSA key ID 37AA956A
  gpg: Good signature from "Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>"
  gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
  Primary key fingerprint: 66C3 0B69 5415 91E3 A777  F84D 0E13 F75A 37AA 956A
  [tsakai@vixen Derby]$
  [tsakai@vixen Derby]$ md5sum db-derby-10.5.1.1-src.tar.gz
  f5c2d8c6546757243e2c8cf79fd944fe  db-derby-10.5.1.1-src.tar.gz
  [tsakai@vixen Derby]$
  [tsakai@vixen Derby]$ cat db-derby-10.5.1.1-src.tar.gz.md5
  F5C2D8C6546757243E2C8CF79FD944FE
  [tsakai@vixen Derby]$

Thanks again.

Regards,

Tena Sakai
tsakai@gallo.ucsf.edu

Posted by Kurt Huwig <k....@iku-ag.de>.
Tena,

Posted by Tena Sakai <ts...@gallo.ucsf.edu>.
Hi Myrna,

  gpg: key 5355D01C: "Dag H. Wanvik (Derby committer) <da...@apache.org>" 13 new signatures
  gpg: key 0C8EBFBE: "David Van Couvering (My Apache Key) <da...@apache.org>" 19 new signatures
  gpg: key 99586C26: "Jean T. Anderson (IBM) (adding IBM email) <ja...@us.ibm.com>" 98 new signatures
  gpg: key C152431A: "Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>" 5 new signatures
  gpg: can't get key from keyserver: Connection timed out
  gpg: key 265B4C63: "Antoine Levy-Lambert (Apache Ant Committer) <an...@apache.org>" 4 new signatures
  gpg: key EDF62C35: "Magesh Umasankar <um...@apache.org>" 1 new signature
  gpg: key 307A10A5: "Henri Gomez <hg...@users.sourceforge.net>" 7 new signatures
  gpg: key 397DCAD5: "Henri Gomez <hg...@users.sourceforge.net>" 2 new signatures
  gpg: key 697ECEDD: "Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>" 1 new user ID
  gpg: key 697ECEDD: "Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>" 6 new signatures
  gpg: can't get key from keyserver: Connection timed out
  gpg: key FEECAAED: "Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>" 19 new signatures
  gpg: Total number processed: 19
  gpg:              unchanged: 5
  gpg:           new user IDs: 7
  gpg:         new signatures: 315
  [tsakai@vixen Derby]$
  [tsakai@vixen Derby]$ echo $?
  2
  [tsakai@vixen Derby]$
  [tsakai@vixen Derby]$ gpg --update-trustdb
  gpg: checking at depth 0 signed=0 ot(-/q/n/m/f/u)=0/0/0/0/0/1
  [tsakai@vixen Derby]$
  [tsakai@vixen Derby]$ gpg --verify db-derby-10.5.1.1-src.tar.gz.asc
  gpg: Signature made Tue 14 Apr 2009 02:27:52 PM PDT using DSA key ID 37AA956A
  gpg: BAD signature from "Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>"
  [tsakai@vixen Derby]$

It appears that --refresh-keys indeed did stuff, although it took
a long time (which is evidenced by "Connection timed out" messages.
That said, it didn't seem to have changed the bottom line.  I don't
like the line:
  BAD signature from "Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>"
It sounds a bit ominous and definite.

Perhaps this is not something I should waste more time on?

Regards,

Tena Sakai
tsakai@gallo.ucsf.edu

> I am a newbie and just got started with derby.  I was doing what this page
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/releases/release-10.5.1.1.cgi#Verifying+releases
> instructed.

[...snip...]

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Tena Sakai <ts...@gallo.ucsf.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie and just got started with derby.  I was doing what this page
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/releases/release-10.5.1.1.cgi#Verifying+releases
> instructed.

[...snip...]

Posted by Tena Sakai <ts...@gallo.ucsf.edu>.
Hi,

Confusion part 2:

I untar'ed the tree and found a file called KEYS in the
src directory.  I used this set of keys to do the same
thing as before.  Here's the response:

[...]
  1
  [tsakai@vixen Derby]$

The first command returned exactly the same response as previous
invocation.  (I diff'ed them.)  But if the "import" didn't change
anything, then why should the 2nd command return something different
from the previous run?  In any event, if someone can help me under-
stand what I am understanding, I would appreciate it.

Regards,

Tena Sakai
tsakai@gallo.ucsf.edu

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Tena Sakai wrote:

>   gpg: Good signature from "Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>"
>   gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!

Hi Tena,
I hit this once with an older release and there was a discussion on the
list.
**http://www.mail-archive.com/derby-dev@db.apache.org/msg62800.htm
<http://www.mail-archive.com/derby-dev@db.apache.org/msg62800.html>
**
I am sorry to admit I never followed up to get my situation straightened
out and follow the advice on the thread, but hopefully it will be
helpful to you.

Kathey