Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Jeff Bischoff <jb...@klkurz.com> on 2007/02/08 21:35:21 UTC

Facelets Taglibs [WAS Re: Error by using ]

Alright. I'm working off of the Release Candidates now, so once they are
released and I've tested my taglib entries out more, I'll update both wikis.

On a side note, I do need to test these more before reposting them
anywhere. Specifically, I still can't get s:selectItems to work in
facelets. (It is in sandbox for me, since I am using the release
candidates) Did the class name change at all when it was promoted?
Perhaps it was in another package, and I need to revert that?

Hmm maybe someone other than Mike can comment, as I'm sure by now I'm
giving him gray hairs. ;)

Re: [Resolved]Re: Facelets Taglibs [WAS Re: Error by using ]

Posted by Jeff Bischoff <jb...@klkurz.com>.
Mike Kienenberger wrote:
> On 2/8/07, Jeff Bischoff <jb...@klkurz.com> wrote:
>> Mike, I tried your setup and it worked. This puzzled me because I know
>> that I (and probably you too) actually have the custom selectItems class
>> in the sandbox.jar. So why would it work as t:selectItems and not
>> s:selectItems? The answer was that my sandbox taglib was failing to
>> parse.
>
> Jeff, this might be another answer to your earlier question.   Since
> there's nothing stopping us from having both a t:selectItems and a
> sandbox:selectItems, the wiki pages may as well have both if there's a
> difference between the trunk and the release.   After a release with a
> promotion, the sandbox copy can be deleted.

I disagree Mike, in terms of the wiki page. This works fine for both of
us because we have both a tomahawk.jar and a sandbox.jar, and the Class
in question is clearly going to be in one of those jars. (and thus in
the classpath)

But for people who *only* use Tomahawk, adding an extra entry for
t:selectItems before it gets promoted would cause their entire tomahawk
taglib not to load. They would get the same ClassNotFound exception that
I got from  having taglib entries for sandbox components that weren't in
my jar - only in this case it would be tomahawk components not yet in
the tomahawk.jar.

Therefore, I don't think I should add such entries to the tomahawk
taglib wiki prematurely. The idea is to make it as easy as possible for
people new to the project who use official releases and may not have
sandbox.jar in their classpath.

When the next Tomahawk is realised, I've made a note to check the taglib
on the wiki and make any revisions necessary.

Thanks again for all your help discussing this with me.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Bischoff <jb...@klkurz.com>.
Okay guys, I got it!

Mike, I tried your setup and it worked. This puzzled me because I know
that I (and probably you too) actually have the custom selectItems class
in the sandbox.jar. So why would it work as t:selectItems and not
s:selectItems? The answer was that my sandbox taglib was failing to
parse. Somehow I missed that error in the logs.

"java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
facelets.GraphicImageDynamicComponentHandler"

The error was caused by some sandbox components that I copied from the
wiki, but are not in my version of the jar. I guess you're right, that
for sandbox a piecemeal approach to building your own taglib file is the
only sane approach. The "complete and accurate" goal is only attainable
for Tomahawk, which has releases.

I have a beef with facelets though, in that it gave me no error message
when I tried to use a namespace that wasn't loaded. I get a nice little
error message when I try to use a component that's not in a supported
namespace:

<t:selectItems> Tag Library supports namespace:
http://myfaces.apache.org/tomahawk, but no tag was defined for name:
selectItems

Not a big deal, but it would have told me what I was screwing up a whole
lot quicker. Maybe I'll suggest it to them.

Sorry for bothering you with something I should have caught myself!

Thanks again,

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.