Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com> on 2022/06/05 15:15:24 UTC

unpack2000 (Re: Beans Binding ())

This got me thinking about the need/current state of unpack200/pack200 (1)…

When creating nbm some (mainly older say Netbeans 8.x timeframe nbm)
leveraged pack200 in attempts to save space.

In more recent JDK versions in/pack200 capabilities were remove (2) as of
JDK 14.

I workaround was identified and a way to locate existing unpack was
implemented (3) which required selecting the location of a pre-jdk14
version of unpack200 executables.

There was other discussions/issue about this (4) prior to (3), during which
finding alternatives was suggested like a forked version of the
pack/unpack200 or leveraging Apache common compression.

However each of these needed some work.  I believe at the time:
- There where no dependency artifacts available for using the fork and
- The Apache compress while it did add functionality based on Apache
harmony JDK, it was not compatible with newer unpack200 handling which
would require further updates

So in summary is  it worth reviving this effort to allow support.  If there
is user interest I can move this over to the dev mailing list if preferred.

(1) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pack200
(2) https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/367
(3) https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/2317
(4)