Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Christoph Petersen <li...@peterschen.de> on 2008/10/18 13:00:26 UTC

German Spam Flood

Hey guys,

since a week or two all my mail servers are receiving a massive amount
of emails which passes by all my rules in SA (even Bayes doesn't stand a
chance as the content is written to good).

I wondered if somebody else has this problem and has some advice
regarding rules.

Here some of the subjects of these emails:

- Bist DU mein Traumtyp??
- Willst Du spass haben?
- Shireen gepoppt.
- Saga direkt gevoegelt hehe
- L0litas wollen es richtig hart
- Myriam naturgeiles Teenie!

Thanks for your help.

Best regards
Christoph

Re: German Spam Flood

Posted by Christoph Petersen <li...@peterschen.de>.
Hi.

cfgerty wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the same here. Typical thing here is that the links are typical written with
> blanks like
>
> www . something . org
>
> Has anyone a rule which is able to validate this kind of URL's against a BL?
>
> And as you say: Bayes still comes back with 0-5%.

Mhh my bayes identifies some of them with even 99% but it's not enough
to stop all of them.

> Chris

BR
Christoph

Re: German Spam Flood

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.
cfgerty a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> the same here. Typical thing here is that the links are typical written with
> blanks like
>
> www . something . org
>
> Has anyone a rule which is able to validate this kind of URL's against a BL?

are there any legitimate uses of such spacings?

Otherwise, you could play with something like:

describe        URI_SPACE       body contains a spaced URI.
body            URI_SPACE
/www[\s\.\-]{1,3}[^\s\.]{1,20}[\s\.\-]{1,3}(?:org|com|net)/
score           URI_SPACE       0.01

Re: German Spam Flood

Posted by cfgerty <cf...@gmx.net>.
Hello,

Re: German Spam Flood

Posted by Michael Monnerie <mi...@is.it-management.at>.
On Samstag, 18. Oktober 2008 Christoph Petersen wrote:
> - Bist DU mein Traumtyp??
> - Willst Du spass haben?
> - Shireen gepoppt.
> - Saga direkt gevoegelt hehe
> - L0litas wollen es richtig hart
> - Myriam naturgeiles Teenie!

Another thing: We have a very hard spam filter, so I do not get a lot of
spam through. And I do not get a lot of reports of GERMAN spam either,
so please forward me the most annoying GERMAN spam so that I can react.

mfg zmi
// Tel: 0660 / 415 65 31                      .network.your.ideas.
// Keyserver: www.keyserver.net                   Key-ID: 1C1209B4

Re: German Spam Flood

Posted by Michael Monnerie <mi...@is.it-management.at>.
On Samstag, 18. Oktober 2008 Christoph Petersen wrote:
> - Bist DU mein Traumtyp??
> - Willst Du spass haben?
> - Shireen gepoppt.
> - Saga direkt gevoegelt hehe
> - L0litas wollen es richtig hart
> - Myriam naturgeiles Teenie!

Hi guys, I'm the maintainer of ZMI_GERMAN. Sorry that your mails have
not been identified, but it seems those spammers are subscribers of
ZMI_GERMAN too, and they quickly adopt their text as soon as I change my
rules. I've just now updated the rules to
Version:  01.27.15
and that detects all current spam of that type. Look for ZMIde_Flirt
rules, these are currently 67 (!) rules just for this type of spam. I
try to be as generic as possible, and so more and more versions can be
auto-detected.

Also, I recommend increasing BAYES_99 to 4.5 points and train your bayes
daily. I do so via scripts, and always append the newest spam to the
learn-as-spam-mailbox. No FPs with bayes.

HOW CAN YOU HELP? Excerpt from the ruleset:
# HOWTO contribute:
# - write and --lint your own rules
# - be sure it hits more than just one spam
# - try to write rules similar to how we write them recently (see the
#   latest body rulesets (the last ones!) to get an example)
# - be sure it actually *is* spam, not just a newsletter from a company
#   who bought your e-mail address from another company (they often
don't know...)
# - send your rules to the maintainer (see above) together with the
licence
#   (which MUST be "Artistic" for me to include it, or you grant me
rights
#    to redistribute it under the "Artistic" licence)

Please always contact me directly, as I don't read this list too often.

Re: German Spam Flood

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.
Chris a écrit :
> On Saturday 18 October 2008 7:20 am, cfgerty wrote:
>> One sample of these mails:
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/m1e3d6b5d
>>
>> German Language Rulesets are applied.
>>
>> Chris
>>
> Scored like this on my standalone machine:
>
> Content analysis details:   (11.2 points, 5.0 required)
>
>  pts rule name              description
> ---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
>  5.0 BOTNET                 Relay might be a spambot or virusbot
> [botnet0.8,ip=88.215.95.153,rdns=88.215.95.153.dynamic.cablesurf.de,maildomain=cablesurf.de,client,ipinhostname,clientwords]
>  1.0 RELAYED_BY_DIALUP      Sent directly from dynamic IP address
>  4.1 BAYES_80               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 80 to 95%
>                             [score: 0.8473]
> -0.0 DCC_CHECK_NEGATIVE     Not listed in DCC
>                             [cpollock 104; Body=1 Fuz1=1]
>  0.1 RDNS_NONE              Delivered to trusted network by a host with no
> rDNS
>  1.0 SAGREY                 Adds 1.0 to spam from first-time senders

hmmm...

* RDNS_NONE is bogus here. The host does have rdns, it's just that the
(ISP?) MTA didn't look it up. Fortunately, 0.1 is small enough.

* For the same reason, RELAYED_BY_DIALUP looks bogus to me as well. does
this plugin perform rDNS lookup? or does the botnet plugin correct the
X-Relay-* meta headers?

* 5.0 for dynamic rDNS may be too high depending on site policy
regarding dynamic rdns.

Re: German Spam Flood

Posted by Christoph Petersen <li...@peterschen.de>.
Hi Chris,

Chris wrote:
>  pts rule name              description
> ---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
>  5.0 BOTNET                 Relay might be a spambot or virusbot
> [botnet0.8,ip=88.215.95.153,rdns=88.215.95.153.dynamic.cablesurf.de,maildomain=cablesurf.de,client,ipinhostname,clientwords]
>  1.0 RELAYED_BY_DIALUP      Sent directly from dynamic IP address
>  4.1 BAYES_80               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 80 to 95%
>                             [score: 0.8473]
> -0.0 DCC_CHECK_NEGATIVE     Not listed in DCC
>                             [cpollock 104; Body=1 Fuz1=1]
>  0.1 RDNS_NONE              Delivered to trusted network by a host with no
> rDNS
>  1.0 SAGREY                 Adds 1.0 to spam from first-time senders

Thanks for pointing that out. Will check on adding these plugins/rules
into SA.

BR
Christoph

Re: German Spam Flood

Posted by cfgerty <cf...@gmx.net>.
ok, I see your mail some more plugins I have not currently running, e.g.
Botnet, sagrey. Have installed them. Will check if it's better now. Just
strange that your Bayes is seeing it...

Chris

Re: German Spam Flood

Posted by Chris <cp...@embarqmail.com>.

Re: German Spam Flood

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.
mouss a écrit :
> Matthias Schmidt a écrit :
>> Am/On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 05:20:03 -0700 schrieb/wrote cfgerty:
>>
>>> One sample of these mails:
>>>
>>> http://pastebin.com/m1e3d6b5d
>>>
>>> German Language Rulesets are applied.
>>>
>> this message doesn't come from a mail-server with a resolving reverse pointer.
>> We don't accept such messages, so this message even wouldn't make it to
>> spamassassin here.
>

> which mail server do you mean? My understanding is that Chritoph gets
> the mail via his ISP, and his ISP doesn't perfrom rDNS lookup.
> Christoph: can you confirm this?

Brain corrupted:) It was Chris, not Christoph.

Re: German Spam Flood

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.

Re: German Spam Flood

Posted by Matthias Schmidt <be...@admilon.net>.
Am/On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 05:20:03 -0700 schrieb/wrote cfgerty:

>One sample of these mails:
>
>http://pastebin.com/m1e3d6b5d
>
>German Language Rulesets are applied.

this message doesn't come from a mail-server with a resolving reverse pointer.
We don't accept such messages, so this message even wouldn't make it to
spamassassin here.

Thanks and all the best

Matthias

Re: German Spam Flood