Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Matthias Gall <ma...@trimplement.com> on 2018/04/07 13:01:16 UTC

Fetching options for PDChoice causes ClassCastException

Dear all,

I am trying to fetch the options available for a PDChoice field in a form but get a ClassCastException from the PDFBox internals.

The problematic PDF is an Inheritance Tax form from the UK's Revenue and Customs, specifically I am currently looking at IHT405:

	https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/697346/IHT405_online.pdf

I use this code to iterate over the fields:

	PDDocument doc = PDDocument.load(resource.getFile());
	PDDocumentCatalog catalog = doc.getDocumentCatalog();
	PDAcroForm form = catalog.getAcroForm();
	for (PDField field : form.getFields()) {
		if ("Ch".equals(field.getFieldType())) {
			PDChoice choice = (PDChoice) field;
			// All these variants fail with a ClassCastException:
			choice.getOptions();
			choice.getOptionsDisplayValues();
			choice.getOptionsExportValues(); // internally just delegates to getOptions()
		}
	}

This is a stacktrace for e.g. the getOptionsExportValues() call:

	java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.pdfbox.cos.COSArray cannot be cast to org.apache.pdfbox.cos.COSString
		at org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.common.COSArrayList.convertCOSStringCOSArrayToList(COSArrayList.java:367)
		at org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.interactive.form.FieldUtils.getPairableItems(FieldUtils.java:182)
		at org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.interactive.form.PDChoice.getOptions(PDChoice.java:91)
		at org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.interactive.form.PDChoice.getOptionsExportValues(PDChoice.java:210)

The problem is that the expected "stringArray" also contains COSArrays with value and label for the options:

	COSArray{[COSString{ }, COSArray{[COSString{Mr}, COSString{MR}]}, COSArray{[COSString{Mrs}, COSString{MRS}]}, COSArray{[COSString{Miss}, COSString{MISS}]}, COSArray{[COSString{Ms}, COSString{MS}]}]}

This does not seem to be expected in FieldUtils.getPairableItems, which introspects only the first item of the array and thus treats the array as an array of strings.

I found the bug with PDFBox 2.0.4 and upgraded to 2.0.9 which didn't help.

Following the advised practices for bug reports I raise this on the mailing list first. I appreciate your feedback on how to proceed.

Kind regards
Matt

Re: Fetching options for PDChoice causes ClassCastException

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi,

> Am 07.04.2018 um 15:01 schrieb Matthias Gall <ma...@trimplement.com>:
>
> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to fetch the options available for a PDChoice field in a form but get a ClassCastException from the PDFBox internals.
>
> The problematic PDF is an Inheritance Tax form from the UK's Revenue and Customs, specifically I am currently looking at IHT405:
>
> 	https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/697346/IHT405_online.pdf
>
> I use this code to iterate over the fields:
>
> 	PDDocument doc = PDDocument.load(resource.getFile());
> 	PDDocumentCatalog catalog = doc.getDocumentCatalog();
> 	PDAcroForm form = catalog.getAcroForm();
> 	for (PDField field : form.getFields()) {
> 		if ("Ch".equals(field.getFieldType())) {
> 			PDChoice choice = (PDChoice) field;
> 			// All these variants fail with a ClassCastException:
> 			choice.getOptions();
> 			choice.getOptionsDisplayValues();
> 			choice.getOptionsExportValues(); // internally just delegates to getOptions()
> 		}
> 	}
>
> This is a stacktrace for e.g. the getOptionsExportValues() call:
>
> 	java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.pdfbox.cos.COSArray cannot be cast to org.apache.pdfbox.cos.COSString
> 		at org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.common.COSArrayList.convertCOSStringCOSArrayToList(COSArrayList.java:367)
> 		at org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.interactive.form.FieldUtils.getPairableItems(FieldUtils.java:182)
> 		at org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.interactive.form.PDChoice.getOptions(PDChoice.java:91)
> 		at org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.interactive.form.PDChoice.getOptionsExportValues(PDChoice.java:210)
>
> The problem is that the expected "stringArray" also contains COSArrays with value and label for the options:
>
> 	COSArray{[COSString{ }, COSArray{[COSString{Mr}, COSString{MR}]}, COSArray{[COSString{Mrs}, COSString{MRS}]}, COSArray{[COSString{Miss}, COSString{MISS}]}, COSArray{[COSString{Ms}, COSString{MS}]}]}

this is a limitation in the current implementation which expects either an array fo strings or an array of arrays/pairs but not a mix.

> This does not seem to be expected in FieldUtils.getPairableItems, which introspects only the first item of the array and thus treats the array as an array of strings.
>
> I found the bug with PDFBox 2.0.4 and upgraded to 2.0.9 which didn't help.
>
> Following the advised practices for bug reports I raise this on the mailing list first. I appreciate your feedback on how to proceed.

I've opened PDFBOX-4185 for that. Feel free to comment there and add yourself as a watcher.

BR
Maruan