Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/29 16:34:57 UTC

Plugin Execution IDs

I've been working on a fix for MNG-3927. I tracked this to a problem with
plugin execution IDs.
http://www.nabble.com/Default-plugin-execution-id-to20388623.html#a20388623never
seemed to reach a conclusion on IDs. From what I gather:

1) If an ID is not specified, the configuration is to be applied to all
other plugin executions which do not have a configuration. It will not
override another plugins execution configuration, if it exists.
2) If an ID is specified as 'default' it will not be applied to other
executions without an ID (null) specified.
3) If an ID is specified as 'default' it will be applied to all other
executions with a 'default' ID. This I'm not sure on? Should an ID of
'default' be applied here?
4) If an ID is specified as X, where X != 'default', then the configuration
will only be applied to other executions with an ID of X, where those
plugins do not already have an execution.
5) Use a new ID for default: default-execution-id?
6) The NULL (or unspecified) ID is considered valid.

Anything other rules I need to take into account? For now, I'm just looking
to get a fix in before the Maven 3.0-alpha1 release and then will update the
spec based on feedback.

Thanks,
Shane

RE: Plugin Execution IDs

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
I think that if 5) changes the "default" to something else, then if
someone actually uses "default" it should be treated like any other
execution Id.