Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Shawn Church <sh...@boxity.com> on 2006/01/20 20:43:17 UTC

Conversion of static site

I'm would like to have a few suggestions for how to best handle
implementing a multi-lingual public corporate web site.  Currently, our
corporate site is static and we offer subsets of the site in Spanish and
Russian.  This however results in a lot of duplication and my web
designer is becoming overloaded with maintenance of the separate
instances.  We normally outsource the translation work, but the
non-English portions of the site quickly become outdated.  We plan to
soon support more languages, so I think it's time to consider abandoning
the static site in favor of something more dynamic.

I of course would prefer to use Tapestry, but our web designer will have
a difficult time understanding page caching and why he can't make
real-time updates.  Tapestry is a good fit however when it comes to page
design, since the templates are HTML-compliant.  I personally hand-code
HTML, but our designer is very dependent on Dreamweaver.  Has anyone had
success using Tapestry for applications such as this which are primarily
content-based?

Unless someone has a better idea, my plan is to implement my own
PageSource and TemplateSource and to override the normal page-caching
behavior.  This would allow page templates to be re-loaded on each
request so that HTML page updates are immediately visible.  I have
already done this in another application, and it actually worked very
well.  The only down-side is having to take care to not change the page
object's signature (since Tapestry does not expect the cached page
object to be out of sync the the HTML template).  This is not an ideal
solution however, so I would appreciate any suggestions.  Another option
would be to switch to a scripting language such as Ruby or PHP and to
deal with the non-compliance issues (which Dreamweaver handles pretty well).

Thanks,
Shawn