Posted to user@ranger.apache.org by Hanish Bansal <ha...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/09 17:26:04 UTC

Not able to perform hdfs operation after enabling hdfs plugin of ranger

Hi All,

I am installing ranger on a standalone machine. I have installed
ranger-0.4.0-admin successfully.

Also i have enabled hdfs plugin, that is installed successfully.
When I try to do any hdfs operation like cat a file through command line or
browse file system through web-ui (<ip:50070>), I am seeing only below
class name there:

com.xasecure.audit.model.AuditEventBase

It is not giving anything other.

Request you to help to resolve this issue.

--
*Thanks & Regards*
*Hanish Bansal*

Re: Not able to perform hdfs operation after enabling hdfs plugin of ranger

Posted by Selvamohan Neethiraj <sn...@apache.org>.
Thanks Hanish for the feedback on the library settings .... We will document these in the Wiki soon ...

The parameter "xasecure.add-hadoop-authorization" will allow Ranger Authorization to fall back to HDFS authorization ONLY IF RANGER could not provide you with requested access on the requested resource based on the RANGER policies.  Unless you have all access control policies defined in RANGER, you should leave this parameter as true.

Since RANGER installation by default enable audit for all access and does not provide any default access to any user, you are seeing "permission denied" error for all access.

To test RANGER authorization/audit, you can define a policy with resource name as "/"  and recursive = TRUE and grant all access to your desired user-id and then, see if the hdfs access is being granted for the specific user-id.

Thanks,
Selva-

Posted by Hanish Bansal <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hanish Bansal <ha...@gmail.com>.