Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Michal Maczka <Mm...@cqs.ch> on 2003/06/25 15:20:19 UTC

Deploy API (artifact plugin)

I have progressed with Deployer API.

To make it clear - we have actually 3 types of repositories:
   local (single instance)
   remote-readonly
   remote-writable

Maven can now deploy to many remote repositories.

Deployers are just simple one shoot file copiers - See:
org.apache.maven.deploy.deployers.Deployer.

I have implemented deployers for following protocols
SSH (both: SCP and SFTP)
FTP
FILE

There is also HTTP deployer which comes from Jason original code
but I haven't tested it all.

I think that code is already at least as functional as what we have in
maven-deploy-plugin

Higher level functionality is implemented in
org.apache.maven.artifact.deployer.DefaultArtifactDeployer

This class does support such operations:

o   install
o   install-snapshot
o   deploy (which upload to set of repositories  artifact and its .md5 file)
o   deploy-snapsnapshot
    which upload to repositories 5 files:
         foo-20030620.124616.jar
         foo-20030620.124616.jar.md5
         foo-SNAPSHOT.jar
         foo-SNAPSHOT.jar.md5
         foo-snapshot-version

(see http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?Maven/DeployDependCycle)

So basically I am deploying every file which maven needs and I am not
requiring that any intelligence is present in remote repository.

How to use this API:

#list of repositories to which we will deploy
maven.repo.repos= R1, R2, R3, R4, ibiblio

#setting for repository 'R1'
maven.repo.R1=ftp://ftp.boo.com
maven.repo.R1.username=michal
maven.repo.R1.password=********
maven.repo.R1.directory=/web/repository

maven.repo.R2=sftp://host2.com
maven.repo.R2.username=michal
maven.repo.R2.password=*********
maven.repo.R2.port=22 (default can be skipped)
maven.repo.R2.directory=maven/repoistory
maven.repo.R2.group=Michal
maven.repo.R2.proxy=proxy.com
maven.repo.R2.proxy.port=54
maven.repo.R2.proxy.usernam=michal
maven.repo.R2.proxy.password=*********

maven.repo.R3=scp://host3.com
maven.repo.R3.username=michal
maven.repo.R3.directory=repo
maven.repo.R3.group=remote_grup
maven.repo.R3.privatekey=/home/.ssh/id_dsa

maven.repo.R4=file://c:\\temp
maven.repo.R4.directory=repository

maven.repo.ibiblio....

Anybody has a better idea regarding configuration settings of this API (set
of properties).

I haven't tested following things (sometimes simply because of lack of
technical possibilities)

o   Certificate based authethification ( have problem to generate right
    keys, but ssh is using user-provided private key, so I bet it works)

o   if proxy server setting works.

I will spend some time today and hope to test it deeper.

Then until weekend I am busy ... and cannot do much.
But I believe that the code is already in that state that can be used.
Are there any planes when rc1 will be out? During weekend I can plug this
code in the places where it should be used. Then it will be nice to have few
days of internal testing to get sure everything works as it should.

Other option is to wait with those changes for rc2.

Michal

Re: Deploy API (artifact plugin)

Posted by Martin Skopp <sk...@riege.de>.
On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 15:20, Michal Maczka wrote:
> I have progressed with Deployer API.

Wow, that *really* looks good...

> #list of repositories to which we will deploy
> maven.repo.repos= R1, R2, R3, R4, ibiblio

Is there really need for this property?
I am just afraid of users forgetting to add to this property which will
raise question on the mailinglist....

Possible reaons from my point of view:

a) convenience for Michal :-)
He does not need to loop over all properties check for a maven.repo.*
match...

b) offers the option to define maven.repo.MYUSED.* but not to use it.
Nice feature, but I doubt that it's really required...

Just my .02 cents

Posted by Rafal Krzewski <Ra...@caltha.pl>.
Michal Maczka wrote:

 > I have progressed with Deployer API.

Good to hear that. Incosistency among plugins in this regard was a
big drawback IMO.

Everything looks good, but...

> #list of repositories to which we will deploy
> maven.repo.repos= R1, R2, R3, R4, ibiblio
          ^^^^^^^^^
maven.repo.list maybe?

R.