Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Jimi Thompson <jt...@link.com> on 2000/11/01 01:48:54 UTC

Re: Looking for consultants willing to implement cocoon in SwitzerlandorGermany

Speaking of jokes that evolved, remember PhotoDraw?  Back in the day it was the
best thing going and then Adobe introduced PhotoShop and it had <gasp> color.  In
less than 6 months PhotoDraw was gone and now people look at you funny if you
mention it.  Someone will do the same to Quark.  The law of the jungle applies
especially to software.  Adapt and survive or die.

Uli Mayring wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 mike.haarman@merrillcorp.com wrote:
>
> > Tools for getting XML out of Quark are rudimentary at best, but improving.
>
> The big problem is that the tools are not only rudimentary, but also
> interactive. The correct philosophy would be to have the source document
> in XML and then generate a Quark document from it.
>
> > But Quark remains a target
> > rather than a source until they get their act together and support a proper
> > ML more directly.
>
> Exactly. But we have to differentiate between QuarkXPress, the program,
> and .qxd, the file format. Both need work :)
>
> > Until XSL-FO is completed there is a messy intermediate step of
> > generating PS just to feed a distiller.  FO will give PDF in prepress a big
> > boost, IMO, as if it needed any.
>
> I agree, FO will be big in prepress, but most people do not realize it
> yet.
>
> > Very frustrating.  I appreciate that Quark support for XML is a tremendous
> > cultural shift for them in addition to the technical challenges.  Their
> > avenue.quark attempt really smelled, IMHO.  I foresee that  if they don't
> > they are dead.  Which is no skin off my nose, it is a pain and good riddance.
> > There are Postscript engines I much prefer.
>
> Quark needs to re-invent themselves, if they want to survive. I was
> serious, when I mentioned KOffice. It may look like a joke compared to
> Quark today, but what did Linux look like a few years ago? Quark's really
> big chance would be to jump on the XML train, because Adobe is going their
> "Thou shalt have no other Gods besides PDF" way.
>
> Ulrich
>
> --
> Ulrich Mayring
> DENIC eG, Softwareentwicklung

Jimi Thompson
"It's the same thing we do every night, Pinky."