Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2006/12/27 01:59:10 UTC

maven-changes-plugin questions

Hi,

Is anyone actually using this because I'd like to sync this up with
the reporting we're doing for voting. The JIRA stuff in the changes
plugin is now obsoleted by the Swizzle (it just kicks ass), and I
would like to remove the mail sending stuff and put it in an
announcement component and put in with the /maven/release stuff. I
would also like to move the changes plugin over to /maven/release
stuff as it is in the release vein of things.

Thanks,

Jason.

Re: maven-changes-plugin questions

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been trying to get the changes plugin into a releasable state. But
> it has been going on for too long, I did however manage to get a
> 2.0-beta-2 out there.

I just checked to see if there were any differences between 2.0-beta-2
and the current SVN trunk. The changes are limited to pom.xml and
src/site/site.xml.

> The main hurdle that I have seen is that the plugin does too much at the
> same time. This has also been seen on the user list where users
> migrating from Maven have had difficulties.
>
> So I'm in favor of splitting it up:
> - Rip out the JIRA code and replace it with Swizzle
> - Move announcing to its own plugin, or perhaps to /maven/release since
> you only announce when you release right?
>
> However I would not like to move the changes.xml parts to /maven/release
> for a couple of reasons:
> - It you use a changes.xml file you use it constantly during
> development, not just when you're doing a release
> - Keeping it in a maven-changes-plugin brings M1 and M2 more in sync
> than they were before, which eases migration pains.
>
> I would like to sink my teeth into the patch [1] from Denis Cabasson
> which introduces a Modello model for the changes.xml files.
>
> Let me know what I can help with...
>

> [1] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MCHANGES-47
>
> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is anyone actually using this because I'd like to sync this up with
>> the reporting we're doing for voting. The JIRA stuff in the changes
>> plugin is now obsoleted by the Swizzle (it just kicks ass), and I
>> would like to remove the mail sending stuff and put it in an
>> announcement component and put in with the /maven/release stuff. I
>> would also like to move the changes plugin over to /maven/release
>> stuff as it is in the release vein of things.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason.

Dennis Lundberg

Re: maven-changes-plugin questions

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 27 Dec 06, at 7:17 AM 27 Dec 06, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I've been trying to get the changes plugin into a releasable state.
>> But it has been going on for too long, I did however manage to get a
>> 2.0-beta-2 out there.
>>
>> The main hurdle that I have seen is that the plugin does too much at
>> the same time. This has also been seen on the user list where users
>> migrating from Maven have had difficulties.
>>
>> So I'm in favor of splitting it up:
>> - Rip out the JIRA code and replace it with Swizzle
>> - Move announcing to its own plugin, or perhaps to /maven/release
>> since you only announce when you release right?
>>
>> However I would not like to move the changes.xml parts to
>> /maven/release for a couple of reasons:
>> - It you use a changes.xml file you use it constantly during
>> development, not just when you're doing a release
>
> Sure, but when would you actually show it to anyone?

You might for example publish the site of a project periodically, to
show your users that progress is being made. You might also encourage
the users to try out the latest version by highlighting issues that have
been fixed since the last stable release.

> I never really understood the changes.xml myself, as I don't want to
> keep things in an issue tracking system and changes.xml or is this for
> folks who don't employ an issue tracking system?

I see it as a "poor man's" issue tracking system, for people who don't
have access to a full fledged system like JIRA. It's very easy to use
for a small project with few changes.

>> - Keeping it in a maven-changes-plugin brings M1 and M2 more in sync
>> than they were before, which eases migration pains.
>>
>> I would like to sink my teeth into the patch [1] from Denis Cabasson
>> which introduces a Modello model for the changes.xml files.
>>
>> Let me know what I can help with...
>>

>> [1] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MCHANGES-47
>>
>> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Is anyone actually using this because I'd like to sync this up with
>>> the reporting we're doing for voting. The JIRA stuff in the changes
>>> plugin is now obsoleted by the Swizzle (it just kicks ass), and I
>>> would like to remove the mail sending stuff and put it in an
>>> announcement component and put in with the /maven/release stuff. I
>>> would also like to move the changes plugin over to /maven/release
>>> stuff as it is in the release vein of things.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jason.

Dennis Lundberg

Re: maven-changes-plugin questions

Posted by Emmanuel Hugonnet <eh...@orange-ftgroup.com>.
Jeff Jensen a écrit :
> I like the changes page as a "simplified, user-friendly" list of notable changes
> made for each release.  The defect/RFE tracking system has the details for the
> initiated users when desired.
>

> Quoting Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>:
>

>> On 12/27/06, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I never really understood the changes.xml myself, as I don't want to
>>> keep things in an issue tracking system and changes.xml or is this
>>> for folks who don't employ an issue tracking system?
>>>
>> Yes and no. I've always seen it as a "technical" changelog of the
>> project. When end-users create issues, the summary is not always
>> understandable so we end up with a list of "things" beings solved.
>>
>> The changes.xml allows to describe in more details what happened. It's
>> a good thing actually and it's certainly a good alternative for people
>> not using an Issue tracker that maven handles.
>>
>> Stéphane

I agree with you and I think that the information should be in the scm
comments to refer to the bug tracking system.
We have developed such a maven plugin that parses subversion comments to
create a changelog page with only significant modifications displayed
and links to the corrected bugs if needed. So users can see in what
state each release and the trunk is.
I hope to be able to release it publicly.
If you feel this is something useful I would be able to convince my boss
more easily.
Emmanuel

Re: maven-changes-plugin questions

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 27/12/06, Mike Perham <mp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> changes.xml is also very useful where module:JIRA project is not 1:1.
> We have jira projects for each subsystem, not module.

It's also handy when you're not using JIRA ;)  See MCHANGES-58 [1] and
MCHANGES-59 [2].

I'd have no probs moving the changes.xml functionality to the release
plugin if a suitable Task abstraction API was employed (did someone
say Mylar? :)

Mark

[1] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MCHANGES-58
[2] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MCHANGES-59

Re: maven-changes-plugin questions

Posted by Mike Perham <mp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Hi

Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone actually using this because I'd like to sync this up with the
> reporting we're doing for voting. The JIRA stuff in the changes plugin
> is now obsoleted by the Swizzle (it just kicks ass), and I would like to
> remove the mail sending stuff and put it in an announcement component
> and put in with the /maven/release stuff. I would also like to move the
> changes plugin over to /maven/release stuff as it is in the release vein
> of things.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason.

Dennis Lundberg

Re: maven-changes-plugin questions

Posted by Mike Perham <mp...@gmail.com>.
We use the changes plugin but only the changes.xml report generator.

+1 on your changes.

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
Definitely +1

Stéphane