Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Bruno Mannina <bm...@free.fr> on 2012/08/16 14:24:15 UTC

Your opinion please concerning prod' installation

Dear All,

I would like to present you what I want to do to install Solr on a brand
new production server.

1. uninstall apache-tomcat provides with the standard Ubuntu 12.04
2. uninstall Sun Java provides with the standard Ubuntu 12.04

3. install Java 7
4. install apache-tomcat

5. download Solr 3.6.1 (or do you think I can download the 4.0?)

6. secure server (ok but how)

Thanks for your comment!

Of course if you have a link that details these processes It will be
great. (not one page for each step I have them)

Have a nice day !
Bruno

Re: Your opinion please concerning prod' installation

Posted by Jan Frühwacht <ew...@googlemail.com>.
There are different possibilities to secure the server in my opinion which
depends on how you want to integrate the solr search.
Most use cases have some server side processing in between instead of
having a front-end web application directly accessing the solr servlets
(which prevents unwanted interactions with the search for the end user).
This really depends on your environment (application mainly consisting of
frontend or backend logic).

However it's important to think about the following things:

-Should the user also be able to update / delete documents (if not only the
"/select" requestHandler should be configured for the production
environment => see configuration in solrconfig.xml (
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrConfigXml)).
-How many queries will there be in the environment ? Think of caching,
optimizing the index and being prepared for the load of your production
systems)
-Is there any data which you will index which the end-user should not be
able to see? (distinction between indexed and stored fields)

Hope this helps to start.

If you have more detailed questions on securing the server please be more a
bit more concise.

Kind regards,
Jan