Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com> on 2019/10/23 15:38:14 UTC

GitHub UI: only want "squash" merge button

Recent a committer accidentally clicked the merge button on a PR *without*
choosing the type of merge to be squash.  Really anyone could easily make
this mistake; it's so easy.  The default is the first listed which is a
regular merge commit.  Consequently, our Git History is... well you can see
it for yourself :-(

I filed this with infra so that it doesn't happen again:
INFRA-19333 - Github: only want "Allow squash merging"
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-19333>

If only Git had a way to undo accidental pushes to a shared repo that
doesn't cause distributed-pain.  Sigh.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

RE: GitHub UI: only want "squash" merge button

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

Looks good to me, only the “sqash and merge” option is left there for me. I also see the description line and web link behind the repository name.

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen

https://www.thetaphi.de

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
Merged and resolved!

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.

Posted by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Sokolov <ms...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noble Paul <no...@gmail.com>.
another issue I noticed was the merge tool in the github UI.

When you use that tool to resolve conflicts, it does a merge commit.
that results in sending the commit messages to all JIRA issues.

Either we should disable that online merge option or there should be
an option to do a squash merge

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.
Ah, I had missed that! Thanks.

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 11:34 PM David Smiley <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> These INFRA tickets have a "Project" field.  I filled it out based on the picklist -- "Lucene".
>
> ~ David Smiley
> Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley
>

> On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 5:32 PM Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> +1
>>
>> David, I think we need to explicit about the fact that we are asking
>> this for the lucene-solr repo on the INFRA ticket?
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 5:38 PM David Smiley <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Recent a committer accidentally clicked the merge button on a PR *without* choosing the type of merge to be squash.  Really anyone could easily make this mistake; it's so easy.  The default is the first listed which is a regular merge commit.  Consequently, our Git History is... well you can see it for yourself :-(
>> >
>> > I filed this with infra so that it doesn't happen again:
>> > INFRA-19333 - Github: only want "Allow squash merging"
>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-19333
>> >
>> > If only Git had a way to undo accidental pushes to a shared repo that doesn't cause distributed-pain.  Sigh.
>> >
>> > ~ David Smiley
>> > Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
>> > http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley
>>

>> --
>> Adrien

Adrien

Re: GitHub UI: only want "squash" merge button

Posted by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@apache.org>.
+1

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 at 21:08, David Smiley <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Recent a committer accidentally clicked the merge button on a PR *without*
> choosing the type of merge to be squash.  Really anyone could easily make
> this mistake; it's so easy.  The default is the first listed which is a
> regular merge commit.  Consequently, our Git History is... well you can see
> it for yourself :-(
>
> I filed this with infra so that it doesn't happen again:
> INFRA-19333 - Github: only want "Allow squash merging"
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-19333>
>
> If only Git had a way to undo accidental pushes to a shared repo that
> doesn't cause distributed-pain.  Sigh.
>
> ~ David Smiley
> Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

Atri