Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2002/01/15 00:18:15 UTC

maybeupload not so maybe?

Hi,

I've been working on a slimmed-down version of Cocoon to base our new
site upon. Apart from the DELI stuff which Carsten tackled nicely (how
could we live without Carsten over here?), I had some troubles in
getting rid of maybeupload dependencies.

I managed to get Cocoon up & running without maybeupload after removing
the jar from the lib\optional directory and compiling, so the dependency
checking works well.

What 'annoyed' me was the fact that I could not got Cocoon running by
simply compiling (with the maybeupload.jar in place), and removing all
references to it in cocoon.xconf and the sitemap.xmap, an approach which
worked fine for other optional components... simply because I didn't
manage to find any references to maybeupload in cocoon.xconf.

After deploying Cocoon without maybeupload.jar, the Servlet
initialization hung upon a ClassNotFound Exception, obviously looking
for maybeupload.

So where on earth are there references to it in cocoon.xconf? Or the
stock sitemap? Or do I really need to get rid of the jar prior to
compilation?

Steven Noels
http://outerthought.org/
(+32)478 292900

RE: maybeupload not so maybe?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > C'mon. We should start factoring things out of Cocoon core or it will
> > slowly become a distribution, not an engine.
> >
> > And yes, as much as I like distributions, I don't think the cocoon
> > effort should build that. It should be somebody/somewhere else's
> > concern.
>
> I have been trying to work on a real light-weigth version of C2 for our
> own site during the past few days. In general, one is amazed at the
> start-up speed when essentially none of the nifty things from the samples
> pages is included :-)
>
> Presuming that work on Chello has difficulty catching up (their last
> release was dated C2 RC2 era,
> http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=61418), I was
> wondering whether building light-weigth deployment versions of Cocoon
> shouldn't be a task for the core development team.
>
> It is kind of difficult to keep track of the CVS tree while maintaining
> your own slimmed-down version of Cocoon. The conditional
> compilation works
> nicely, but maybe we should include a 'lean-and-mean' webapp target, too
> (or I have been looking over it if it is already there). A sample 'empty'
> xconf and sitemap would be nice, too, just including the stuff you get
> when getting rid of all optional jars.

Yes, I'm working on this. For the sitemap this is already working - the
missign part is the xconf. I hope I can fix this over the weekend.

Carsten

Re: maybeupload not so maybe?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Re: maybeupload not so maybe?

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> > From: Steven Noels [mailto:stevenn@outerthought.org]
> >
> > So where on earth are there references to it in cocoon.xconf?
> > Or the stock sitemap?
>
> Take a look at
> xml-cocoon/src/java/or/apache/cocoon/environment/http/RequestWrapper*.ja
> va
> Correct implementation is chosen based on the jar file presence.
>
> > Or do I really need to get rid of the jar prior to compilation?
>
> Yes.

That sucks!

Ok, having a file upload thing is cool, but *this* integrated?

C'mon. We should start factoring things out of Cocoon core or it will
slowly become a distribution, not an engine.

And yes, as much as I like distributions, I don't think the cocoon
effort should build that. It should be somebody/somewhere else's
concern.

Expect a juicy RT on this soon.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

RE: maybeupload not so maybe?

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Steven Noels [mailto:stevenn@outerthought.org]
>
> So where on earth are there references to it in cocoon.xconf?
> Or the stock sitemap?

Take a look at
xml-cocoon/src/java/or/apache/cocoon/environment/http/RequestWrapper*.ja
va
Correct implementation is chosen based on the jar file presence.

> Or do I really need to get rid of the jar prior to compilation?

Yes.

Vadim