Posted to users@maven.apache.org by gdub <a5...@orthogony.com> on 2006/04/26 17:00:56 UTC

creating and using source archive

Good morning-

We just completed our first Maven-based
project and are on to the next. First,
thanks to the Maven developers for
their efforts and to the members of
this list who were invariably helpful
and patient during the newbie days.

So, we are moving from the "let's see
how Maven works" phase to the "let's
look at the impact of Maven" phase.
Personally, I have grown from "Maven
child" to "Maven rebellious teenager."

Now, a thing that would really cut
time would be to have source and javadoc
archives available in the local
repository--for all local and 3rd-
party artifacts.

So my question is, how can I
automatically install source and javadoc
jars from development projects to the
local repository? I see the instructions
on how to upload them to ibiblio and I
can successfully use the source:jar and
javadoc:jar goals. But how do I get those
jars into my local repository using
Maven?. I know I can copy them directly
but hopefully that's not the recommended
means. Ideally, I'd like it configured so
that building the install goal installs
those jars as well.

On the comment side, I would like to
plead with ibiblio uploaders to please
include source and javadoc archives
with your packages if at all possible.
I know it's extra work but it could
have a big impact on Maven usability.

Thanks as always,

   -dub

Re: creating and using source archive

Posted by gdub <a5...@orthogony.com>.
Tom Huybrechts wrote:
> If you execute 'mvn eclipse:eclipse -DdownloadSources=true', an
> Eclipse project will be generated with sources or javadocs attached.

Thanks, Tom. I've started using that
flag. However, a surprising number
of packages on ibiblio don't include
source or javadoc archives.

I've resorted to packaging up those
jars manually and copying them directly
to the local repo. If we ever get our
act together and set up a workgroup
repository that effort won't have to
be duplicated on every workstation.

Posted by Tom Huybrechts <to...@gmail.com>.
If you execute 'mvn eclipse:eclipse -DdownloadSources=true', an
Eclipse project will be generated with sources or javadocs attached.
While you may not want the related project files (.project &
.classpath) this will have the side effect of downloading what you
need into your local repository.

Tom

Posted by Aaron Freeman <aa...@gmail.com>.
I created a new feature request in the JIRA instance for Maven 2
(http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2248). You guys can add comments
to it if you want to. This is the first time I've created a JIRA log
so I hope I did it right.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Huybrechts <to...@gmail.com>.
I don't really agree that downloading sources&javadoc should be
standard, but I do think it should be possible. I hacked the eclipse
plugin into something that can download sources&javadocs on demand for
the dependencies of a given project and will upload it to JIRA
tomorrow.

Tom

Posted by jdigger <na...@mooresoft.net>.