Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Patrick Moore <pa...@buildcap.com> on 2007/02/10 07:10:35 UTC

trying tapestry on the phone...

Hi there --

I am trying to access my tapestry 4.1.2 application via a fairly high-end
phone browser. (Samsung a900m). I have some preliminary results and a few
gotcha's posted on my blog at :
http://www.sworddance.com/blog/2007/02/09/phone-usability-design-notes-part-1/

Biggest gotcha so far is @LinkSubmit. LinkSubmit completely breaks in the
phone browser.

-Pat Moore

Re: trying tapestry on the phone...

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
I guess that's true. Maybe I would argue more strongly for it if I
knew what the app was doing but I don't...I do know that when I was
doing both j2me / mobile content about 6 years ago the virtual device
programs you could use to develop your app against were always pretty
damn close to being the real thing...I can't imagine how many of them
there are now though. Maybe I can ask Cedric. I think he does that
stuff for google mail.

--
Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry/Dojo team member/developer

Re: trying tapestry on the phone...

Posted by Patrick Moore <pa...@buildcap.com>.
Hi Jesse --

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Moore <pa...@buildcap.com>.

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@terra.com.br>.

Posted by andyhot <an...@di.uoa.gr>.
Patrick Moore wrote:
> Hi there --
>
> I am trying to access my tapestry 4.1.2 application via a fairly high-end
> phone browser. (Samsung a900m). I have some preliminary results and a few
> gotcha's posted on my blog at :
> http://www.sworddance.com/blog/2007/02/09/phone-usability-design-notes-part-1/

Yep, quite interesting results you got there.
The general fallback plan for such situations is making sure the site
works with javascript disabled:

- Tapestry has good support for this, i.e. ajax components downgrade to
normal ones. BUT there exist some
javascript-only components and they're such by design. The most popular
of those are LinkSubmit and
contrib:Palette... they simply don't work without javascript. The new
autocompleter and data/time pickers also
fail but i have some plans for them :)

But what happens when devices don't have 100% browser-like javascript
support?
- Well, one might like to dynamically instruct Tapestry to not generate
any JS (which is not
currently possible), or (as you did) find and report the problems.

Now, i'm not aware if the javascript protocol (used in a link's href) is
a standard and accepted protocol
but when choosing from
I now prefer (and would like to promote) the simple <a href="#"> and
wiring up the event afterwards.

I don't think this would break anything - perhaps Jesse could comment here.

> Biggest gotcha so far is @LinkSubmit. LinkSubmit completely breaks in the
> phone browser.

I also noticed that, see:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAPESTRY-1245