Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net> on 2002/05/01 03:33:21 UTC

Re: [New Subproject Proposal] ObjectBridge

On 4/30/02 3:15 PM, "costinm@covalent.net" <co...@covalent.net> wrote:

> Given the votes expressed so far by other jakarta commiters - I can
> only vote +1.

And given that Costin votes +1, and he and I *always* agree,

;->

I'll add a +1 on the condition we at least give some serious discussion to
what Constin notes below :

> My only comment:
>
> I would be much happier with a wider top-level project, where the
> various db-related technologies could find the expertise and community
> that is needed ( instead of ending up with 3-4 smaller projects ).
>
> We do not have ( AFAIK ) any top level project with the primary
> goal of doing database-related stuff.

I think it would be great to have a DB focused subproject - it might be a
great oppo to move Torque out of Turbine as well if the Turbiners want that
(at some point, Turbine might get back to it's charter of build tools and
services frameworks... :)

There is the DBCP in commons - if the committers aren't interested in moving
that, I'll bring Poolman here in a femtosecond if the community supports it.

> In time ( and if we are lucky ) this project can incorporate various
> other db-related components - like the various connection pools,
> portions of torque, etc. Of course, the internal organization is
> your choice, but I think it would be good if various database related
> proposals and technologies share the same top level porject
>
> You have my +1 on the proposal anyway.

System and Software Consulting