Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Arindam Barua <ab...@247-inc.com> on 2014/01/02 19:51:34 UTC

vnode in production

Hello all,

Just wanted to check if anyone has any experiences to share regarding

1.       the stability of vnodes in production

2.       upgrading to vnodes in production

We recently upgraded to 1.2.12 in production and were planning to turn on vnodes using the "adding a new datacenter" method vs using shuffle which seems to be not recommended. It helps that we were planning to add capacity to our Cassandra ring anyway. Our tests in QA so far have been good. If we do not upgrade now however, we will have to add the new hosts normally to the ring, and may not be able to add a new data center at a later point of time.

Thanks,
Arindam

Re: vnode in production

Posted by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com>.
On 01/06/2014 01:56 PM, Arindam Barua wrote:
> Thanks for your responses. We are on 1.2.12 currently.
> The fixes in 1.2.13 seem to help for clusters in the 500+ node range (like CASSANDRA-6409). Ours is below 50 now, so we plan to go ahead and enable vnodes with the 'add a new DC' procedure. We will try to upgrade to 1.2.13 or 1.2.14 subsequently.

Your plan seems reasonable but in the interest of full disclosure
CASSANDRA-6345 has been observed as a significant issue for clusters in
the 50-75 node range.

Re: vnode in production

Posted by Tupshin Harper <tu...@tupshin.com>.
This is a generally good interpretation of the state of vnodes with respect
to Cassandra versions 1.2.12 and 1.2.13.

Adding a new datacenter to a 1.2.12 cluster at your scale should be fine. I
consider vnodes fit for production at almost any scale after 1.2.13, or 50
nodes or less (ballpark) for 1.2.12. For reference, I filed the main
tracking issue (CASSANDRA-6127).

-Tupshin

RE: vnode in production

Posted by Arindam Barua <ab...@247-inc.com>.