Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it> on 2007/02/13 09:19:37 UTC

How to implement bulk printing of documents?

What is the best/easiest way (if possible) to implement the bulk
printing of a set of PDF reports that share the same template (aka
screen widget definition)?
For example, generate a big PDF with all the purchase orders in the
created approved status; the pdf can then be printed and so that the
purchase orders are sent by mail to the suppliers.

Ideally I'd like to reuse the existing screen definition that defines
the single document and just iterate over it and put the output into a
single PDF file.

Any hints/ideas on how to implement this?

Another interesting option would be that of bulk sending by email a set
of documents (for example one email per supplier with the attached
purchase order), but this is not very important for me at the moment,
just one more wish in my list.

Jacopo

Output Management WAS: [Re: How to implement bulk printing of documents?]

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
David E. Jones wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2007, at 3:46 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>>
>> What about implementing something more robust in this direction?
>> I'm thinking of implementing document processor and distribution
>> features for the OFBiz framework.
>> The idea is this:
>>
>> * when a user submits a report creation request (e.g. an invoice), he
>> has also to provide the distribution channel (file, mail, print, fax,
>> etc...) and also the physical device options (to and cc email address,
>> printer name, fax number etc...)
>> * the request is stored in a record somewhere (a new entity or
>> something existing, in the Content component?, or just the JobSandbox
>> entity) with the following information:
>>
>> jobId|status|screen path|input context(serialized?)|output channel
>> (print/mail etc...)|output options (e.g. \\printserver\prt01, num of
>> copies etc..)
>>
>> * an async service listens to this entity and process the report
>> creation requests, then updates the status there
>>
>> For set of documents we could simply create many records in the above
>> entity.
>>
>> Does it make sense?
>
> Yeah, I think so. Sounds interesting.
>
> As far as my thoughts on which to go: rather than having job management
> just for this, it might be nice to use the service engine job management
> for it and just store parameters in the persisted context and such. The
> service engine job management is pretty feature rich on a low level, but
> it needs some enhancements to the management UI. That is actually of the
> areas that may see some work during the dev conference.
>
> -David

Ok, I will look into the details in this direction.

The next steps could be:

a) review the existing job scheduling services and entities (what is
missing or should be enhanced to properly support output management?)
b) ui: enhancements to the webtools
c) ui: implement a new screen in WorkEffort for "My Submitted Jobs"
where a user can see the job scheduled by him and maybe further filter
the list to see the one of 'type' output (aka documents)
d) create a generic service (similar to the one used to send emails),
that given a context, a printer name, and a screen name (the template
for the document) can be put in the job queue (async, thus visible in #b
and #c) and once executed will create a pdf and send it to the printer

Misc ideas:

A) if we store the persisted context in the JobSandbox, then the same
job can be re-run to recreate the document: the contaxt is passed to the
screen definition, the actions (minilang/bsh) are run and the context is
filled with data, that is then shown on screen by the widgets/fo templates
B) as an alternative option to #A, we could also give the ability to
store the persisted context AFTER the actions are run, so that, if we
rerun the job (aka recreate the document) the context is immediately
served to the widgets/fo templates: this would be a nice way to "store"
the documents (like invoices etc...); do you think it is possible/useful
something like this?

Anyone interested in this?
Ideas, remarks?

Jacopo

Re: How to implement bulk printing of documents?

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by PRONZATO Cedric RD-BIZZ-GRE <ce...@orange-ftgroup.com>.
Hi Chandresh,

Pentaho code is in MPL (Mozilla Public Licence) and Pentaho Reporting (JFreeReport) is in LGPL. As I am not a layer, I don't know if it is compatible with Apache licence.
I am far to know the whole Pentaho stuff but it was in my plans to try to integrate it (at least some parts) in OFBiz as a logical choice I guess.
As in my previous post, I also need to have a better OFBiz view =)

Cédric,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
JasperReports use is kind of deprecated in OFBiz

Jacques

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Okay, cool, but for what? Any details about your thoughts on it would
be helpful.

-David

Posted by Chandresh Turakhia <ch...@bhartitelesoft.com>.
Take a look at XAL widgets

Chand

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Cédric,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Cedric,

> Okay, so if other apache projects does it, could we also do it? Perhaps we could make a distinction between libraries needed for
OFBiz core and the remaining?
> As §6 also mention a "one of" I wonder which case would be the best.

I'm not sure if you are already aware of it so here we go. Shark is in the same licence case as Pentaho (end BTW is embeded in
Pentaho). You may have a look at how we currently deal with such thing (see OPTIONNAL_LIBRAIRIES)

About that point

> Their reasoning that they can write code that uses the library but
> cannot distribute the library seems strange.

Because in doing such way you are safe from the viral part of GPL/LGPL. IANAL but I guess it's the main reason.

I don't know about Ant : I care about OFBiz. For instance take a look at :
http://forums.openqa.org/thread.jspa?messageID=18362&#18362

Jacques

Posted by PRONZATO Cedric RD-BIZZ-GRE <ce...@orange-ftgroup.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.