Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Ionel GARDAIS <io...@tech-advantage.com> on 2020/06/06 08:32:30 UTC

Starting VM on connection

Hi,

Is anyone aware of a plugin that would start a VM when a user click a connection ?
Some kind of raw VDI.

Regards,
Ionel

--
232 avenue Napoleon BONAPARTE 92500 RUEIL MALMAISON
Capital EUR 219 300,00 - RCS Nanterre B 408 832 301 - TVA FR 09 408 832 301

AW: Starting VM on connection

Posted by Joachim Lindenberg <jo...@lindenberg.one>.
Hi Ionel,

I am doing this in my extension, see https://software.lindenberg.one/backup/en/documentation/guacamole-integration. In fact it does not only start but also monitor usage and “save” Hyper-V VMs. All actual management and also authentication is in my backup server and called remotely from the extension.

Not sure this is an easy addition to the existing authentication mechanism though, and also you´ll have to check whether combining makes sense. The advantage of delegation is that I can enumerate existing VMs and status directly and use the same authentication as the involved hypervisor (in my case Hyper-V and Active Directory).

Best Regards, Joachim

Re: Starting VM on connection

Posted by sciUser <sh...@securitycentric.net>.
Let me clarify, as a default installation no Guacamole does not have this
capability to start VMs on the fly. There will be heavy coding involved, so
my statement holds true its beyond Guacamole capabilities out of the box.

You will need to have back-end connections to the host servers, know what
command sequence to run (xen, vmware, KVM, GNS3, CypherPath, Oracle or IBM),
you will need to identify the UUIDs, (if it is a straight forward turning
the VM on, in some host systems you can get away with the human readable
name label of the VM), however if it is a clone or snapshot there are so
many things that are involved in starting a VM up that Guacamole does not
natively do or understand.

Guacamole will need the logic of managing VMs which it currently does not,
it only manages users and connection information for the users, unless there
is some hidden administration I have missed.

I also know others have done similar things they developed or used and they
may or may not run in to things I figured out 20 years ago, long before
anyone knew what a virtual desktop were.  I also know that everyone has a
different use case for their implementation.

-----
A Cybersecurity Enablement Company
We don't just run you through the motions, Our labs teach you how to think!
Known good Guacamole  installations

Re: Starting VM on connection

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 12:06 PM sciUser <sh...@securitycentric.net>
wrote:

> This is beyond Guacamole's capabilities.

I disagree with this statement.  While it is currently not implemented, it
is certainly something that could be implemented, and at least a few people
have done so, including Joachim who already responded with his solution.

-Nick

Re: Starting VM on connection

Posted by sciUser <sh...@securitycentric.net>.
This is beyond Guacamole's capabilities. You can use some industry standards
like Ansible, some docker images/containers may have this capability.
Depends on your platform as well.  In my case we built our own provisioning
system that controls all users connection in guacamole and LMS platforms.

Hope this helps.

-----