Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Boeckli, Dominique" <do...@eds.com> on 2007/12/13 13:27:30 UTC

RE: How to deploy corporate-pom?

I just do it this way for the company pom (-DperformRelease=true)
because it would be pain if the version number for the company
pom has been increased and all other projects defining this one as
parent has to be edited.

When i edit and doing "mvn clean deploy -DperformRelease=true -U -X" for
the company pom i can see that the local repository has
got the change. This is good so far. But what is about the other
developers still having the old company pom in their local repository
(using the same version number)?

brgds

Dominique Boeckli

Posted by Michael McCallum <gh...@apache.org>.
You can configure your repository to check for updates after a time interval
but in order to maintain build reproducibility something in the repository
and that includes parents should never change...

Process has its problems but its better for the developer to choose when to
break their project than having it forced upon them.

I only include distribution management into the parent project... which
changes rarely and if a developer did not update there project to the new
parent then mostly things would break very soon e.g. the release repo has
moved somewhere else...

If you are trying to manage depedencies via parent poms you are taking the
wrong approach and should have another look. See my many posts regarding
composite projects to keep dependency graphs clean.

--
Michael McCallum
Enterprise Engineer

Re: How to deploy corporate-pom?

Posted by Michael McCallum <gh...@apache.org>.
Step back a second and consider...

Its 1 week before xmas, people are going away on holiday. A high profile
project is in the final phases of testing and you discover a show stopper.

You as the release manager go make the final release with the fix, but someone
has released a new comporate pom that breaks your build...

--
Michael McCallum
Enterprise Engineer

RE: How to deploy corporate-pom?

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
I think this can still be a problem. Say you have 1.0-SNAPSHOT of your
product using version 1 of your corp pom. (I always suggest org poms
always be releases for the same reason I'm about to explain) Then you go
and change the trunk of your product code to use version 2 of the corp
pom. I'm a developer happily working on the side in my private branch
(or un-updated WC...). All of a sudden my build fails... (because the
enforcer rule or because the snapshot of the corp pom was updated with
conflicting info). If you have snapshots of your corp pom, things will
change suddenly for people sitting off to the side working on their own
stuff...the same will happen if you are enforcing that they always use
the latest corp pom.

Posted by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@planet.nl>.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Posted by "Boeckli, Dominique" <do...@eds.com>.
this would be perfect, because now i did how it was recommended, but:

1. modified the parent trunk to snapshot.
2. did a release of the company pom. Released highest version is now 1.1
3. modified the first child in the chain:

   <parent>
	<groupId>eds</groupId>
	<artifactId>eds</artifactId>
	<version>LATEST</version>               <--- changed, LASTEST is
1.1 (currently highest version number of parent)
   </parent>
   <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
   <groupId>eds.tweb</groupId>
   <artifactId>tweb</artifactId>
   <packaging>pom</packaging>
   <version>1.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
   <name>tweb</name>

4. install/deploy or release-prepare are all failing with following
error:

    [ERROR] FATAL ERROR
    [INFO]

    Project ID: eds.tweb:tweb:pom:1.1-SNAPSHOT

    Reason: Cannot find parent: eds:eds for project:
eds.tweb:tweb:pom:1.1-SNAPSHOT for project
eds.tweb:tweb:pom:1.1-SNAPSHOT

In this case i would expect that it would take version 1.1 of the parent
pom.

brgds

Dominique

Posted by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@planet.nl>.

Posted by ni...@planet.nl.
Couldn't you put the version of the parent (corporate-pom) to LATEST instead of a version number. AFAIK, when you do a release it is changed into the current latest version. So tags won't change when you update your corporate pom.

Hth,

Nick Stolwijk

RE: How to deploy corporate-pom?

RE: How to deploy corporate-pom?

Assuming: i change the company pom in your way and advice the developers
about this change. As you know most of the email are deleted
without being read, i am sure that nobody remembers that there's a new
version of the company Pom. So, the effect is the same like in
my way: after i changed the company pom i have to advice the developers