Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Michael André Pearce <mi...@me.com.INVALID> on 2023/05/11 10:05:20 UTC

NMS micro-site

Hi All,Krzysztof and I have been offline chatting and starting to feel the need to revamp the NMS docs, one thing we're finding is that the docs area is a little thin.We are thinking if it would make sense for us to make a micro-site docs akin to how Artemis docs are done, where they are published separately and simply iframed within the apache activemq main site.Does anyone have any big objections here if we were to venture/explore this route? Also we were thinking of running it just as github pages, to really simplify things.I want to put this out here, before we expend effort, to just make sure.BestMike

Re: NMS micro-site

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
There is an NMS component area already,
https://activemq.apache.org/components/nms/, the discussion is more
about the lacking contents of docs area in it and how to [re]populate
it.

Re: NMS micro-site

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Mike,

Re: NMS micro-site

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
To be clearer, the displayed Artemis docs are published on the
ActiveMQ site along with all the other content on the site, with HTML
output generated from source in the artemis repo upon updating the
site for a given release. The various docs simply get shown in an
iframe to maintain the overall site look with the nav etc when
viewing, since e.g the main 'user manual' docs for each version is
generated from a honkit/gitbook 'book' and the HTML emitted thus lacks
the overall site nav etc. Much the same as e.g javadoc content also
does generally, which is similarly iframed (all the artemis docs are,
since the iframe is at
https://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/documentation/). They
could just simply skip the iframe and blend in less with the overall
site nav, as e.g the 5.x javadocs just do. Personally I dislike the
iframe itself, though not enough to have ever suggested dropping it,
or doing anything else about it like seeing if the honkit/gitbook
generation could be updated to actually spit out pages with the nav
etc already in place.

It sounds like you are proposing something a little different in this
case, actually hosting the NMS docs separately, re: note of using
GitHub Pages? If so that doesn't actually seem that great to me in
terms of not keeping the published site content together in one place
and thus not being able to see changes to it as a whole, or folks
generally being able to update the site or get the complete build as
easily. Though I think it's probably allowed so long as it is e.g.
GitHub Pages being used, and that the source is all still in an ASF
git/svn repo (I believe that much is policy). Though I dont
immediately see how that would work for only a subset of the site
without also e.g a subdomain or something.

Re: NMS micro-site

Posted by Willems Jef <Je...@district09.gent>.
More documentation is always welcome. I'm willing to contribute writing these.

Jef

Re: NMS micro-site

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1 sounds good!