Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steve Ingraham <si...@okcca.net> on 2007/04/09 17:32:04 UTC

assistance with logon error

We have a MySQL database backend that is accessed through our website
using Apache Tomcat that was set up before I came on board here.  I am
just familiar enough with this setup to be dangerous.

Our problem is that whenever our users attempt to logon to the database
this morning they get this error message:

org.keel.services.authentication.mad.LoginHelper: singraham:Unable to
access LDAP server at occadb Reason: occadb:389

I am sure that my actions last Friday have contributed to this problem
but I need some help on tracking down where I can fix this problem.  On
Friday I demoted an old Windows 2000 Advanced Server from serving as a
Domain Controller for our domain.  I have a Windows 2003 server that was
also serving as DC along with the now demoted server.  I have been
informed by the web application developer that this has caused this
failure as he believes there was a line of code that was pointing to
this old DC to acquire the logon information.  However, he cannot recall
where this file is or what it was called.  I have been informed that
there is a line in one of the configuration files for our website that
needs to direct to the new DC for our domain and that once that line is
changed to redirect to the new DC we will be able to logon.

I have been searching for any configuration files in our web application
that would have the specific line directing to the "now incorrect" DC.
Can anyone provide me with information on where this configuration file
may reside?  What its name, location, path could be?  Is there a
standard location in a Tomcat environment where this type of
configuration file may be?

The web application is running on Apache Tomcat 5.5.15 on a Redhat AS 3
server.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Steve

RE: assistance with logon error

Posted by Steve Ingraham <si...@okcca.net>.

The '-iF' change returned nothing either.

> Worst case, you'll have to dig into the source...

I have been looking through file after file all day now for any content
that would refer the authentication to any server.  I am finding
nothing.  Can you tell me what the lines of code might be written like
for authentication of user logons?  I am getting cross eyed looking at
code that I really don't understand very well and am seeing nothing that
would make me believe there is something in it that is using the Windows
authentication for logon.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  This error has really shut down our
office work today and I am striking out big time on getting it
functional.

Thanks,

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Ingraham <si...@okcca.net>.

(it is 'occadb' by the way) for that server.  Another administrator
advised me to use this command on the Linux server where the webapps
reside:

find -type f -print0 | xargs -r0 grep -F 'occadb'

It returned nothing.

I am still searching with no success.

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Ingraham <si...@okcca.net>.

Thanks for your help on this.

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On 4/9/07, Steve Ingraham <si...@okcca.net> wrote:

> I have been searching for any configuration files in our web application
> that would have the specific line directing to the "now incorrect" DC.
> Can anyone provide me with information on where this configuration file
> may reside?  What its name, location, path could be?  Is there a
> standard location in a Tomcat environment where this type of
> configuration file may be?

Chances are it's either in an XML file -- /WEB-INF/web.xml would be
the first place to look -- or in a "properties" file, typically found under
/WEB-INF/classes/ as e.g., foo.properties.

But I would think `find` and `grep` would be your friends here :-)

HTH,

RE: assistance with logon error

Posted by Steve Ingraham <si...@okcca.net>.

Ok, I have subscribed to that mail-list.  That makes, lets see, the
Tomcat, Struts, Netbeans and now the Keel mail-list for web
applications.  Not to mention the qmail, qmailtoaster, spamassassin,
BIND DNS, SPF and YUM lists.  I wonder what other list I will end up
subscribing to next.

Thanks for the information everyone has provided here.  Anyone please
feel free to add anything further that you might think of.  In the
meantime I will see if I can find any further insight from the Keel
folks.

Re: assistance with logon error

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 4/9/07, Steve Ingraham <si...@okcca.net> wrote:
> org.keel.services.authentication.mad.LoginHelper: singraham:Unable to
> access LDAP server at occadb Reason: occadb:389

It could be possible that the login credentials are hard-coded in a
Java file, instead of reading them from a properties file.

Upon looking at the LoginHelper here:
http://www.keelframework.org/release/HEAD/javadoc/org/keel/services/authentication/config/LoginHelper.html

You could check if there is a Java class in your application that
calls this method:

attemptLogin(java.lang.String domain, java.lang.String loginName,
java.lang.String providedPassword, java.lang.String passwordSeq,
ServiceManager manager)

That Java Class should have the domain etc.

-Rashmi