Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Craig Zeigler <cr...@cfrscca.net> on 2005/12/11 17:11:15 UTC

message with drug ad image only

I have been getting hundreds of these messages per day and don't know
how to stop them. The bayes is only come back at 60%.

They are the messages advertising drugs with a random subject (yes, I
know, one of the many) The filename is Part 1.1.jpg. There is no virus
that I can find.

Does anyone have a rule to kill these?

Re: message with drug ad image only

Posted by Fred <sp...@freddyt.com>.
Craig Zeigler wrote:
> I have been getting hundreds of these messages per day and don't know
> how to stop them. The bayes is only come back at 60%.
>
> They are the messages advertising drugs with a random subject (yes, I
> know, one of the many) The filename is Part 1.1.jpg. There is no virus
> that I can find.
>
> Does anyone have a rule to kill these?

Well I'm sick of seeing these too, so here's a rule to make them stop, now
you realize that they'll change their tactics in a few days and this rule
won't be of any use to us say in a month.

This rule didn't cause any FPs in our testing but that doesn't mean it'll
work for you.

full __FULL_MIME_IMAGE m'\bContent-Type: image/(?:jpeg|gif)'i
full __TEST_20_URL m'http://[^\r\n]{10,50}(?:\r\n){1,2}=20\r\n'
meta    LOCAL_HAS_IMAGES (__FULL_MIME_IMAGE && __TEST_20_URL)
score   LOCAL_HAS_IMAGES 3.75

Re: message with drug ad image only

Posted by Pollywog <li...@shadypond.com>.
On 12/11/2005 04:11 pm, Craig Zeigler wrote:
> I have been getting hundreds of these messages per day and don't know
> how to stop them. The bayes is only come back at 60%.
>
> They are the messages advertising drugs with a random subject (yes, I
> know, one of the many) The filename is Part 1.1.jpg. There is no virus
> that I can find.
>
> Does anyone have a rule to kill these?

I had been getting lots of those until about a week ago, I don't know why they
stopped.

Perhaps a Procmail or Maildrop rule that rejects (deletes) mail that contains
a gif or jpg attachment if the sender is not in a whitelist?

I will have to Google for tips on how to do that for Maildrop.

8)

Re: DCC hits of nonspam (message with drug ad image only )

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Graham Murray wrote:
> Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net> writes:
>

>>The last mass-checks for 3.1.0 gave it a S/O of about 0.980, but I'm
>>seeing more like 0.900 out of DCC at my site. Could just be the nature
>>of my site, but about a dozen common subscriber newsletters at my site
>>consistently hit it.
>

> Which is why it is a good idea to add such solicited bulk senders to
> the DCC whiteclnt which will make (your local) DCC not consider these
> to be bulk and hence spamassassin not to add the DCC score to them.

To follow up, I looked into it, and there's WAY too many of these to whitelist
them all at my site.

I took a quick grep to look for messages unlikely to be spam. I did a quick grep
for messages that matched DCC_CHECK that:
	1) were not marked as spam by SA at threshold 5
	2) did not have a total score of 4.*
	3) did match BAYES_00 or BAYES_05.
	4) did not match any RAZOR2 rules
	5) were not listed in SpamCop, DSBL, SBL or XBL
	6) did not hit SPF_FAIL or SPF_SOFTFAIL
	7) did not match any rule with DRUGS, OBFU or FUZZY, in its name
	8) did not contain any geocities URL

I got 855 hits that fit all 8 of the above out of a total DCC_CHECK hits is
6894. That's a S/O of 0.875. My site is *massively* worse for DCC false
positives than the mass-check testing data. In this limited sample I have 6.25
times more nonspam hits per thousand than the mass-check tests did!

Admittedly I haven't verified all 855 were not spam, but it's pretty unlikely
that many of those 855 are spam given the great number if criteria I applied.
There's probably also a good number of FPs that don't meet the above criteria

DCC_CHECK Hits include:
	113 messages that are BSP_TRUSTED
	21 messages that are HABEAS_ACCREDITED_*

Hits include mail from:

	ebay (Real, SPF_PASS and BSP_TRUSTED)
	paypal (Real, SPF_PASS and BSP_TRUSTED)
	securityfocus (bugtraq postings)
	Fender (as in guitars)
	Iomega (maker of zip drives)
	Kodak
	applenews.lists.apple.com
	toysrus
	weightwatchers
	onehanesplace.com (As in Haynes underwear maker)
	buy.com
	hallmark.com
	fashionbug (women's clothes)
	eweek.com
	orbitz
	williams-sonoma
	walmart
	HP
	Buy.com

And hundreds of different relatively legitamate commercial sites. I just can't
react to this with DCC's whitelisting feature. There's too many sites to deal with.

Re: message with drug ad image only

Posted by Graham Murray <gr...@gmurray.org.uk>.

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Pollywog wrote:
> On 12/11/2005 05:31 pm, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>
>>Craig Zeigler wrote on Sun, 11 Dec 2005 11:11:15 -0500:
>>
>>>The filename is Part 1.1.jpg.
>>
>>Use MailScanner or another tool to reject/delete mail with that name. If
>>it is coming from zombies, just disallow zombies at MTA level. Not
>>everything anti-spam should be done with SA.
>

> Spammers are stupid, but not THAT stupid; they do use different names for
> their files, the ones I have gotten seem to have random filenames using mixed
> case.  I think it's a job better suited to Procmail or Maildrop, though.  I
> am trying to find a way to do it with a Maildrop filter.

FWIW, the most recent version of this that I got was on Dec 9, and the
attachment was an embedded type named "22.jpg".

It wound up containing a link to their site in it's limited text, and the URIBLs
tore it to bits. Also bth hash-systems I use (razor and DCC) nailed it, and it
was a SPF forgery.

	autolearn=spam, BAYES_50 0.00, DCC_CHECK 1.50, DIGEST_MULTIPLE 0.77,
	DNS_FROM_RFC_DSN 2.60, DNS_FROM_RFC_POST 1.71,
	HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_08 3.13, HTML_MESSAGE 0.00,
	HTML_SHORT_LINK_IMG_1 0.95, INFO_GREYLIST_NOTDELAYED -0.00,
	RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_51_100 0.50, RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_E4_51_100 1.50,
	RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_E8_51_100 1.50, RAZOR2_CHECK 0.50, SPF_SOFTFAIL 1.38,
	URIBL_BLACK 2.50, URIBL_JP_SURBL 4.09, URIBL_SBL 1.64,
	URIBL_SC_SURBL 4.50, URI_NOVOWEL 0.88)

And one before that from Dec 7, it's file was "mute30.gif"

	BAYES_50 0.00, DCC_CHECK 1.50, DIGEST_MULTIPLE 0.77,
	FORGED_RCVD_HELO 0.14, HTML_30_40 0.37, HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_12 1.87,
	HTML_MESSAGE 0.00, INFO_GREYLIST_NOTDELAYED -0.00,
	RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_51_100 0.50, RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_E4_51_100 1.50,
	RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_E8_51_100 1.50, RAZOR2_CHECK 0.50, RELAY_UK 0.01,
	URIBL_BLACK 2.50, URIBL_SBL 1.64)

Body hash systems like Razor's e4 and DCC both really help a lot against
embedded/attached image spams. In both of these emails the DCC/Razor combined
(plus DIGEST_MULTIPLE) resulted in 6.27 points. And that's with me trimming down
the DCC_CHECK score to 1.5 from 2.17. In a stock SA 3.1.0 config the combined
hits from these two would have been over 7 points.

Re: message with drug ad image only

Posted by Pollywog <li...@shadypond.com>.
On 12/11/2005 08:31 pm, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Pollywog wrote on Sun, 11 Dec 2005 17:42:38 +0000:
> > they do use different names for
> > their files
>
> well, not according to his posting.

The only thing I could think of to deal with it was to add a Maildrop rule to
send such files to the spam folder if they are not sorted into another folder
first (if the sender is unknown to me):

if (/^Content-Type: multipart\/mixed/)
{
        exception {
        to "$HOME/Maildir/.Spam/"
}
}

I looked unsuccessfully for a fancy rule to do what I wanted to do, but could
not find one, but I noticed there is an app for spammers that use Mac's and
it is also called Maildrop.

8)

Re: message with drug ad image only

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Pollywog wrote on Sun, 11 Dec 2005 17:42:38 +0000:

> they do use different names for
> their files

well, not according to his posting.

Kai